Author Topic: Tiller Help on Twisty Elm  (Read 1077 times)

Offline VicNova

Tiller Help on Twisty Elm
« on: December 10, 2022, 04:06:12 pm »
Hey guys.

It's been a while since I tackled a log stave bow and I had this piece of elm laying around. It has propeller twist and uneven limbs.  I've started long string tillering.  Need some advice on current shape pulled to 17" and how to handle the reflexed limb to avoid making it overly weak as its broken in.
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline Gordon

Re: Tiller Help on Twisty Elm
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 08:02:49 pm »
When you have an uneven limb profile my advice is to rely less on visual cues and more on maintaining an even thickness taper throughout the limb (with the exception of the last few inches which you want to leave a little proud). In the case of your bow the limb with the reflex will visually appear stiffer than it actually is when properly tillered.
Gordon

Offline bassman211

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 09:06:47 pm »
It is not to late to put your bow on a reflex form , and heat treat the belly to even things up. Elm responds well to heat, and you can make other adjustments with heat as you go along to keep it much more uniform than your pics show. Good luck.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 10:45:03 pm »
when the bow is strung it will be easier to see what needs to happen on the tiller, ,good advice from above,,

Offline superdav95

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 12:05:18 am »
It is not to late to put your bow on a reflex form , and heat treat the belly to even things up. Elm responds well to heat, and you can make other adjustments with heat as you go along to keep it much more uniform than your pics show. Good luck.

This is what I’d do at this point also.  You’ll also be able to take out some of that propellor twist while doing it possibly most of it.  Best of luck.
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 09:08:16 am »
Assuming you leave the limns as is....

It appears that the contact point with the tillering string is sliding to the right indicating that the right limb is stronger. Just be aware of that.

Also, be aware that the picture perfect iller may not be the right one for the stave. That right limb needs to work the same as the right one.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline VicNova

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2023, 07:43:06 pm »
Finally got back to tillering this. I decided to just leave the twist as is and follow it as best I could. Here she is  pulling a bit over 50# at 25".
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2023, 08:26:14 pm »
Looks like a shooter. Well done
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2023, 08:53:57 pm »