Author Topic: Recurve Tiller  (Read 1828 times)

Offline ShorterJ

Recurve Tiller
« on: August 19, 2022, 12:26:40 pm »
I just wanted to get some opinions on tiller incase I’m missing something.  This is a pretty stressed design in my opinion, so I want the tiller spot on.  The top limb has a little bit of positive tiller.  I’ve never tillered a recurve until now and have only made four bows so far.  Needless to say I’m pretty new at this.  Tillering definitely plays tricks on my mind and makes me feel like I’m going crazy and seeing things.  I don’t have the best set up, so I apologize if the pictures are subpar.

HT Hickory 62”ntn
~50# at 28”
~1 5/8- 1 3/4” wide, taper at mid limb to 1/2” tips
4” stiff handle and 2” fades
Sharp, static recurves and holds some reflex

Offline ShorterJ

Re: Recurve Tiller
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 12:28:58 pm »
Unstrung pics

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 02:21:39 pm »
Uhhh dude, that looks beautiful.  First recurve or not that looks like an arra slanger right there.  Probably more technical opinions to come but I say great job. 

Offline Will B

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 06:17:38 pm »
I think you nailed it. The tiller looks good to my eye and that unbraced profile supports that. Beautiful hickory recurve. Well done!

Offline ShorterJ

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 07:10:47 pm »
I hope so. Time will tell.  Every time I look at it I feel like it looks different.  My eyes are playing tricks on me.

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 09:01:53 pm »
Sigh, I know exactly what you mean.  I can stare at tiller for hours and make absolutely no progress.  But looking at yours has me inspired to finish up tillering my first recurve that I’ve been picking up and putting down for about 2 years haha.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 09:43:19 pm »
looks pretty good
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline ShorterJ

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 10:13:44 pm »
Vgo that sounds like a plan.  Might as well finish it out after putting in the effort to bend it haha.  I hope it works out well for you.

Thanks Marc, the inspiration for this bow came from a picture of one of yours.  I think it was a post about performance and speed of selfbows.  I can’t remember.

bownarra

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2022, 02:12:56 am »
I'd also say it looks pretty good. :)
The wood will always give you these answers if you listen to it!
Set and its location is your tiller radar! A great tip is to trace the backs side profile onto a wall/floor etc before ever bending the stave. Watching as it takes set along the way to full draw will tell you if you have the correct bend for your width profile.
As a general rule you want no set at all inner limb, a little starting at mid limb and the rest out to the tips. This distribution of set will give you the most efficient bow.

Offline darinputman

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 09:44:39 pm »
28" draw 62" ntn with what for me would be big curves taking up a few inches of a already short bow, I think it is an awesome job. You didn't even have to put string grooves on the curves from what I can tell, full curves like that have definately given me problems in the past. Perfect string alignment is a must to keep it from popping off especially without grooves on belly of curves. Tiller looks good, definately a bow to be proud of. Also the lack of set in the unbraced picture on such a stressed design, for me anyway speaks volumes about your tillering skills. Again thats one to be proud of for sure.

Offline ShorterJ

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2022, 12:42:43 am »
You didn't even have to put string grooves on the curves from what I can tell, full curves like that have definately given me problems in the past. Perfect string alignment is a must to keep it from popping off especially without grooves on belly of curves

I should note that I did have issues with this.  The string alignment isn’t perfect but it stays on the bow.  However, I strung the bow once, and the string was too close to the edge for my liking, so I pushed it over towards center.  Doing so I accidentally pushed too far, and the string popped around to the back and broke one curve.  Hence the string wrapped recurve that can be seen in the picture. All that said, the string stays on fine from shooting so far.

Also the lack of set in the unbraced picture on such a stressed design, for me anyway speaks volumes about your tillering skills

I should also note that originally the bow had more reflex/backset from heat treating it on the form, so I did loose some of that by the time I finished tillering.

Offline darinputman

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2022, 01:52:17 am »
Looks great, always lose some backset but unstrung profile paints a good picture.

Offline Aksel

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2022, 07:43:18 am »
I think that´s a very good job!  My first thought was it looked slightly stiff mid limb BUT if you are at 28" draw with that short a bow and it hasn´t taken much set you did very good, even if yourself or someone else might think it "should have" a few more scrapes mid limb or whatever.  Great bow!
Stoneagebows

Offline RyanY

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2022, 11:18:23 am »
If I only saw the tiller tree pictures I’d say there was too much inner limb bend. The in hand full draw picture looks good. If you’re still worried, I’d take a picture on a different background without stripes or shadows and from both sides to double check. The unbraced picture says a lot. How much set did you get/reflex did you lose?

Offline ShorterJ

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2022, 12:03:22 pm »
I’d take a picture on a different background without stripes or shadows and from both sides to double check.
The tiller tree pictures show the bow from both sides, but I agree that a better background would probably help. 

How much set did you get/reflex did you lose?
I can’t remember exactly what it was when I started, but from what I can tell I lost 2-3 inches.