Author Topic: Rained out @ work - went cane huntin.  (Read 8479 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Rained out @ work - went cane huntin.
« on: May 17, 2008, 07:54:45 pm »
Well, rain outs are good for somthing. Got some leads on where to find cane from Ridgerunner and hit the road early. Drove all over the north Alabama hills and found several patches, and accidentally stumbled across a few more. Always get an erie feeling when I'm out of state on the side of Interstates cuttin stuff down :-\ :D. But I got away with some goods. FINALLY have a decent stash of cane to sort through ;D.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline david w.

Re: Rained out @ work - went cane huntin.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 08:04:42 pm »
WOW! thats great :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 09:08:01 pm »
Good lookin haul ya got there Cowboy! Them should make some fine arrows.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 09:56:39 pm »
jeesh should be able to get a fewa arrows out of that bunch! ;) ;)
Modern Day Tramp

Offline cowboy

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:09:41 pm »
I hope I can get at least a one dozen matched set outa that bunch hunter ;).
 Shannon, if ida known that I was gonna actually get to cut some before going home I wouldn't have grabbed that bundle from you - could have given it to somebody else. But one good turn deserves another - I'll be passing a bundle on to another feller that has it coming :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 11:51:55 pm »
Looking good Cowboy, Do you think they are mostly alll arrow grade? I tell ya by the time you get those all straightened, spined, weighed, sorted you will have your work cut out. The good thing is that they dont have to spine perfect as cane seems to be spine tolerant within reason. Seems like you need a stiffer cane than you would with cedar.  Mostly I make up a batch that seem like they will work  and then might have to cull out one here or there that dosen't  fly right, even the culls will mostly shoot in a different bow.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 08:15:15 am »
Nice haul.  Out of state on govt. land.....I agree with the erie feeling, but good for you.  Thats lots of cane. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 11:43:53 am »
Nice haul, Paul, should keep you busy and out of trouble for awhile.  :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 01:29:15 pm »
     Outa Trouble....this Crap is going to get you into Trouble....but I would keep my Mouth Shut for a Dozen good Shafts!!!!!!!!

8)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 01:49:05 pm »
Sometimes it is easier to apologize later than it is to get permission to begin with. ;)  You can always tell them you are helping the stand of cane by removing the older cane to make room for the new growth.  ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 02:38:48 pm »
Something wrong with your picture Paul, theres no rock in your truck
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 02:53:58 pm »
I'm in the woods here Dana - gotta pick things what don't grow in my woods ;D. I'll get more rocks out in the desert ;D..

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 04:22:28 pm »
Yeah, come to think of it, that cane doesn't look wet, either-rained out, huh?  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 04:23:43 pm »
Good looking stuff Paul.  Funny, don't look like it's raining in the picture...... ::)   >:D

Keep us posted.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline cowboy

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 11:17:14 pm »
Well the rain turtle said we were rained out ;D. Here in the construction business, take and draw a turtle on the ground (about the size or your truck hood) or you could use your truck hood. If half a dozen drops hit inside the turtle then ya just have to rain out ;D.
 All kiddin aside - I was actually cuttin this cane in the rain. Was stuck between the interstate and a train at one point. Kinda makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck..