Author Topic: Off center stave advise  (Read 3430 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Off center stave advise
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2022, 07:38:50 am »
Good job on aligning your string.Your eye is correct.There is a stiff spot midway on your left limb corresponding to that slight reflex there while resting.It is working though.I would just make that limb your bottom limb if possible.You could round that stiff spot out to look like your right limb too as it is'nt a great deal of reflex to harm that old hickory any.
Heat treat it and it'll hold up for years to come.
I also agree with bownarras' assessment of your form.I've found that a form that gives a slow ever increasing reflex just a couple inches out from the fades to the tips works the best for keeping reflex on a bow.No set on the inner limbs/a little midway/and none from there on out to the tips.
You want to keep your inner limbs healthy as that's where your power will come from.Your bow will do fine though with what you are doing.Just nit picking here,but it could do better is the point.
It should make you a fine bow.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 08:00:59 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2022, 10:41:26 am »
I was trying to copy caul found on this string.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,32832.0.html

After looking again, I can see what you guys are saying.   The left limb has a significant natural reflex mid-limb and I think my brain was trying to replicate...

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2022, 10:54:15 am »
I know Pearlie myself.That form is a good one,but Pearlie was'nt into reflex as much as I am.I've got the same form [not his] over here myself.His will give a flipped tip look.A look many are after.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2022, 11:32:37 am »
I know Pearlie myself.That form is a good one,but Pearlie was'nt into reflex as much as I am.I've got the same form [not his] over here myself.His will give a flipped tip look.A look many are after.

Do you have a pic of your form?   Trying to decide if I should shim or cut new board. 

My next project has quite a bit of reflex at both ends.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2022, 06:26:40 am »
I'll look Buckskinner.If I remember right I cut that form up making it into a different one.A half form one.Your future bow looks great.
The one I use for reflex is this one.A fair amount of reflex but not too much really.You can align the string on this one too.
Deep throated 3" C clamps used.
Longer bows will end up with more reflex on this half form one than shorter bows if used to it's maximum potential.You can give a bow as much or less reflex with this form balancing both limbs to look the same before tillering.

I've sent this pattern to a few people on here.I could send it to you just PM me your address.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 04:34:15 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2022, 07:41:06 pm »
That looks good!  I'll PM you.

I have another question.  How much should I remove on the back of the bow?  There are some remnants remaining of the inner bar as you can see.  Should I scrap it, sand it, or leave it??? I'm guessing not leave it, but don't want to go too far.  Looking forward to harvesting a hickory in late spring where the bark comes right off, this one did not to say the least!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2022, 04:30:03 am »
That's a personal preference question.I like to leave remnants of cambium on most and even on other white woods too.
Your well on your way  there.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2022, 08:21:29 am »
I usually leave some, not worth taking the chance of violating the ring and looks good also after it is finished, it won't hurt a thing . :) The bow is looking good so far. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2022, 10:29:46 am »
Well good because I kinda like the contrast and how a test piece of wood stained.  Pretty much done with it, unfortunately my shoulder is still bugging me so I can't post a pic with me drawing it.

I figured out that how I was standing while tillering was bothering my shoulder.  Had stave in vise on edge of my bench so when scraping my left arm has to cross over too far causing my rotator cuff tendon to inflame.   Very irritating that I can't draw a bow.   Hopefully I can find a different stance to tiller that put less stress on my tendon.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2022, 12:55:47 pm »
I hear ya about that rotator cuff pain.Maybe I did'nt have an extreme case of it.It sure was very painful to shoot a bow though.The pain came directly from where the rotator cuff is.I've seen a couple other bow shooters that I shot with at 3D shoots damage theirs.They went and got an operation.Arm in a sling for months etc.
I did'nt.It took almost year to get tolerable and there were certain movements that my arm just could'nt do in normal work a day life.
Like reaching straight up overhead.
Looking into the problem it seems the tendon is tore from the bone with this problem.In bad cases it needs to be stitched back to the bone.Since it's a tendon it has no blood flow.For that reason it takes a long long time to heal.
Good luck with your healing.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 10:12:27 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline superdav95

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2022, 01:04:28 am »
Some great advice here.  Lots of experience to keep you heading the right direction with a good reflex.  Second bow is looking to have a good start.  Keep it up.   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2022, 08:16:54 am »
Buckskinner I’m not a doctor or a physical therapist.

About 8 years ago my shoulder was hurting and I like Ed couldn’t raise arm above head without considerable pain.

My doctor said it was probably a torn rotator cuff and would probably need surgery but I had to go to physical therapy first.

The physical therapist said he was sure it was a torn rotator cuff to. He gave me several exercises to do and I visited him once a week for several weeks. He said if I did these exercises other muscles would take over and strengthen.

Everyone else told me it was a waste of time.

Well for me it wasn’t. My shoulder is fine now and it doesn’t bother me at all.

Might be a fluke but it worked out great for me.

Hope it works for you.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2022, 09:03:00 am »
I hope I'm in your realm of recovery!  It's getting better somewhat but still get a sharp pain every once in a while, and certainly can't draw a bow yet.  Seeing an ortho next Thursday and my wife is an occupational therapist and she's got me on a strengthening routine.  I had this issue about 10 years ago and got a cortisone shot that really helped, so hoping for that as well.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2022, 09:26:27 am »
I am also not a doctor, but my understanding from personal experience is that it depends on the degree of tear (if you do have a tear).  Microtears can be painful but will usually wear down eventually and stop catching; bigger ones require surgery.  Small ones can get bigger if you aren't careful.  A couple of years ago, I had something going on in the shoulder where I couldn't throw a baseball to my kids all summer.  The next year it was fine.  It didn't effect shooting a bow though. 

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2022, 10:51:00 am »
I didn't do myself any favors yesterday by finishing the tillering on this bow, shoulder is real sore this morning. Not the brightest bulb I guess...