Author Topic: Salt & Pepper Bow/plenty of pics  (Read 6407 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Salt & Pepper Bow/plenty of pics
« on: March 26, 2022, 07:32:16 pm »
Hello all...
Here's a winged elm I sinewed last fall before deer season.The name salt and pepper snake comes from the name locals will give the black speckeled king snake."The old snake eater".Adorned by locals.I acquired these from road kills.
The bow is 62" TTT.47.5#'s @ 28".Finished mass weight is 18.50 ounces for those concerned.
Prior to sinewing I heat treated in around 5" of reflex first.
I then applied 1000 grains of sinew in 3 courses on 3' of inner limbs and handle increasing the reflex a little more each time.A simple composite construction with no horn.Moose and elk leg sinew for the first 2 courses and 225 grains worth of 28" long buffalo backstrap sinew for the increasingly crowned third course.
First 2 courses on crowned already.

28" length back strap and 7" overlapping ends to be put on at base of lever fades ready for final third course crowning it even more.Showing this because this is about the longest length sinew I've ever put on a bow.

Sinew for third course layed out on bow to check for proper length.

Final reflexing of 9" side view profile.

Everything lined up well and bow set off to cure.

Curing time of around 6 months done.Overlays on and ready to tiller.Limb on the right has slightly more reflex of about an inch.

Final thickness of sinew occupying 25% to 30% of the working limbs' thickness.
Most of the reflex is in the inner limbs and rising quickly right out of the fades.Outer limbs stiffish,but still working to a small degree.Around 11" of working limbs and around 15" of stiffish outer limbs.
Details of it's behavior after tillering and a few 3 hour shootings of around 200 arrows has it resting at 7.75".After a 3 hour shoot it unbraces to a scooch over 6".Two hours later back to 7.5".Back to 7.75" over night.
I wanted the grain of the wood and texture of the rawhide to show through so I used a charcoal grey stain on the outer limbs,beef rawhide lace grip,and deer rawhide wraps to match the black and white snake skin color.
Did a little scrimshaw using black india ink on one of the goat horn overlays.My usual slightly raised horn dot arrow pass also.
Finish is an epifanes tung oil based 2 step brushed on spar varnish to give it more detailed see through rubbed in look matte finish.It can take a few days to harden depending on humidity as it's a tung oil base finish.
A few weeks ago I posted a pre-look of the bow in "Test/a little news" http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,71240.0.html
Some more of the story can be found there.I would suggest reading through the other links attatched there also.

Balance point very close to arrow pass.Feels and looks good while drawing also.

You could add close to 3" more of stiff fade to that length.

As a final test I grabbed a 615 grain ocean spray shoot arrow that I would use while hunting and shot it through the chronograph also @ 28" draw.That's a 13 grain arrow for this bow.I had Robin spot for me as I shot.Used the same 3 ply 9 strand 70 grain string as before.I got 2 duplicate shots at 165 fps from that.This will bode well for me come hunting season as the extra momentum and KE from a heavier arrow with the speed does benefit penetration.
9 strands is way more than strong enough for this bow.I could of got along with a 2 ply 6 strand string and probably pushed to the 190 fps mark or more with a 10 grain arrow if I wanted to.
I must state that this has been done before in a simple composite design.First I saw was by Steve Gardner[Badger] with some bamboo backed bows of similar design close to 15 years ago using a very dense core wood.This is just my top view version of it using sinew and reflex.Without others attempts it probably would'nt happen.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 08:58:57 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: Salt & Pepper Bow/plenty of pics
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 08:07:52 pm »
wow...that bow looks fast even without a string.  You did your usual excellent job on this one Ed.  The profile, the back-set, the sinew job, tip overlays, perfect tiller, and then the finishing touches that always are "just enough".  It looks to be a hunting bow for sure.  Thanks for sharing.   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Will B

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 08:20:12 pm »
The name sure fits that bow. I love the resting profile and the snakeskins on this bow!  Your bows are so creative. I can tell you put a lot of effort into this bow. Looks smooth and fast. Thanks for posting this one Ed.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 09:34:40 pm »
Very nice bow, Ed. Often wondered about a sinew backed Molle style bow.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 10:03:39 pm »
Thanks Bob and Will.I barely had enough snake skin.I'm going down south soon so I'll see if I can pick up a couple more.
It'll be worth the effort Pat whenever.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 08:05:09 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Kidder

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 12:42:59 am »
Just plain WOW! Love everything about it - cool design, the snakes look awesome and the reflex is insane! I have very little experience with sinew and wouldn’t have thought it would have paired this well with elm - great job!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 12:59:59 am »
Thanks Kidder.Glad you liked it.
Sinew will work well with many other woods too.
Actually the amount of reflex is fairly mild from what I've done in the past but it was enough to make a difference.
I was impressed by the small amount of permanent set it took after tillering.The length on this bow had something to do with that and the moderate amount of reflex.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 01:24:51 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline superdav95

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2022, 01:30:06 am »
Very well done as usual Ed.  Would have expected nothing less from you.  Love the skins on this bow.  It suits it nicely.  I’m hoping to retain as much reflex in mine too.  Right now I’m at 11” reverse braced.  My guess would be that I’d keep little over half of this but I’ll have to wait till it dries. Fingers crossed.  Those stiff tips on yours looks sweet.  Love everything about this bow actually.  Truly inspiring work.  Keep it up. 

Cheers
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2022, 07:58:31 am »
Thanks Dave....You should do very well with your bow and I like it too.
I'll say you should retain at least 8" of your reflex.I hope you prove me wrong.
Sometime I'd like to do a willow shaped working limb of this type that I've shown.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 08:16:22 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Rowan Bows

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2022, 08:15:39 am »
wow ed what a reflex - looks   :( cool, nice speed also! guess its Molle Month 😂
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 07:34:32 am by Pappy »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2022, 08:23:10 am »
Thanks Rowan....You've been making some real dandies over there yourself.Keep it up.You've been as busy as a beaver.It can only get better.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2022, 09:01:19 am »
Awesome bow Ed. Like Pat I’ve wondered about this design. Seem like it should make good use of the materials it uses and their capabilities.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 10:49:04 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2022, 10:05:10 am »
That’s a beauty Ed!!! You are really testing the belly of the inners on that bow with that design. Very well done. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2022, 10:13:16 am »
Thats a great looking bow Ed. You got this sinewed bow thing figured out pretty well. (lol)
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2022, 10:15:28 am »
Thanks BJ.....
It's just a matter of putting things down in a way that it can be used properly while understanding the materials' capabilities like you said.
Do try one sometime I'm sure you won't regret it.
They pull smooth/release dead in the hand and move the arrow along well.
I have a piece of ironwood here,something I'm sure your familiar with that I want to achieve or close to the results as a self bow.
I also have seen a bow such as this and that others have made even in the lower 40's poundage wise for easier draw yet spit a hunting weight arrow very well too.More than enough to put a deer down.
BowEd
Ed