Author Topic: Another update and tiller check on first hickory bow  (Read 2717 times)

Offline bentstick54

Re: Another update and tiller check on first hickory bow
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2022, 11:30:34 pm »
I have used Timbos method years ago to get a ball park. I just went down stairs and got a yard stick and checked using this method. I measured about 27” on the yard stick. My wood arrows I shoot 3d with are cut 28-1/2” from throat of nock to back of point. At full draw I have about 1/2” of arrow sticking out past the back of my bow. Other factors can affect your actual arrow length, as in handle/ grip size and shape, so YMMV.  I would just go slow as you approach 27” or so, start checking your draw length slowly without overdrawing, or shaving off too much weight. You can always take more wood off, but you can’t put it back on.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2022, 01:58:11 pm »
Yes, Gingerbread, you don't want to tiller to 30" if you don't have to. The yardstick in the chest gives a good ballpark measurement. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Gingerbeard20

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2022, 04:12:41 pm »
Tambo, Jawge, Bentstick I took your advice yardstick is showing me at about 27" so thank you for the advice you all definitely saved me some major errors. I'm going to tiller it to 27" and 40 or 45# and see how it feels right now I have it at 26" and 45# and I wouldn't want to hold it at full draw for very long so I think I may take it down to 40 until I actually learn to shoot it lol.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2022, 04:28:53 pm »
Welcome!
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2022, 07:39:05 pm »
You’re welcome, remember if you need to in the future you can always tiller it out a little farther in you find you need to.

Offline Gingerbeard20

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2022, 12:14:37 pm »
It shoots!!!!Thank you all so much for the help!!!! 69&1/2 in NTN 45# at 27" any critiques please let me know so I can make the next one better.
https://imgur.com/a/J7F6rGw

Offline BetterTrees

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2022, 12:59:28 pm »
It looks a little whip tillered (or maybe not quite. It's the second half of the middle third that I'm seeing) but at that length it shouldn't really develop any stack.
It's a good looking bow. I bet if you set it aside and build another that's a little lighter, you'll appreciate the weight soon.
#45 seemed incredibly heavy to me when I made my first board bow. After a year of shooting several bows, I've settled in to where that is my comfortable weight. I can't even pretend to be consistent at #60.

Offline Gingerbeard20

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2022, 01:13:14 pm »
BetterTrees im def goimg to be starting another one shortly but 45# isn't to bad for me I don't think it's maybe a hair heavy at the moment but I also have a cracked rib so I'd say thats part of it lol. It may be a little whip tillered it's got a hair more bend in the outer 2/3s than the first but I cant notice any stack it does have some hand shock though. All in all for my first bow im pretty happy I will definitely be making more.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2022, 10:27:30 pm »
Nice work!  Have fun shooting it.

gutpile

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2022, 03:03:33 pm »
looks good .. congrats.. gut

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2022, 04:59:33 pm »
Looks great to me!  Well done.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour