Author Topic: Bow trade thoughts and comments  (Read 2369 times)

Offline Kidder

Bow trade thoughts and comments
« on: January 29, 2022, 01:24:44 am »
It’s getting close to time to start the 2022 PA bow trade and I wanted to put feelers out and gather comments and thoughts. First off, there is one bow still in progress from last years trade - I’m confident it is going to be a beauty and the recipient will be happy (their patience has been very appreciated!) secondly, I’m happy to organize it again this year or if someone would like to take over I’m also happy to step aside. Most importantly I’d like to hear a public brainstorm on how we can improve things. New last year we added a drawing for a bow for those who finished on time. Selfbowman made a gorgeous osage self bow and donated that to the give away. I imagine everyone liked that idea - if there is anyone who would like to do the same this year, or has something else they’d like to donate for a give away, let me know. Another idea that jumps to mind is the thought of having 2 divisions (advanced and intermediate) if we have enough builders. That would tend to limit the “floor” for the quality of bows advanced builders would receive but would also limit the “ceiling” for the quality of the bows intermediates would receive, and the trade as always been focused on building the best you can rather than concern over receiving the best. That may also pose a difficulty in structuring the draw where we already have categories based upon where someone will ship. Finally, is the interest there this year to do another trade? This is not MY trade, it’s OUR trade so I’d like to hear comments so we can improve and all have fun. Hit me with your thoughts please.

bownarra

Re: Bow trade thoughts and comments
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 02:23:50 am »
Good luck I hope it all works out for everybody involved.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 11:09:25 am »
I like the idea of having a couple categories as I would like to participate but don't feel it would be fair to receive a fantastic bow from one of our experienced members and not be able to match it with my offering. Trading among the less experienced guys would make me feel less like a grifter taking advantage of the really skilled guys who have been at it for many years.

Mark

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 06:54:06 pm »
Look up "1st Annual PA Invitational 2016". Was done with good intentions. Started a lot of drama. I quit doing the trade years ago due to drama and people not finishing or sending something that was not a shootable bow. Good luck

Offline Kidder

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 08:04:20 pm »
Look up "1st Annual PA Invitational 2016". Was done with good intentions. Started a lot of drama. I quit doing the trade years ago due to drama and people not finishing or sending something that was not a shootable bow. Good luck

Thanks for pointing that out. I definitely don’t want change the intent of the trade in any way. Just open to suggestions on what we can do better. I suppose their will always be drama but I certainly don’t want to invite more problems. Maybe it’s the best it can be the way it is, but the discussion is open and I appreciate the input.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 10:03:29 pm »
Kidder I like your suggestions. Been on the receiving end of a not so good bow. But there’s a lot of folks would feel that way about a straight grained boring bow that I made.🤠 I liked giving the show up bow for that reason. No expectations just a gift for doing what was expected of someone. I think that’s what needs to be expected going in and yes sometimes there are disappointments. But then there is the guy that is a beginner for example that gets a fantastic bow. That guy feels great. Luck of the draw guys . Sometimes my arrow goes farther so to speak. I’m going to be real busy with life this year so I’m not ready to commit to show up bow just yet. But I bet someone will step up to the chore. 🤠 Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline TimmyDeNorCal

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 10:58:31 pm »
I, for one, really like the idea of implementing divisions/classes/etc.

Because I, for one, would love to be involved...but I also believe that it only right that we trade like-for-like...at least as far as experience goes. Of course, that being said, I think it only fair that someone like me would fall under the “Intermediate” division.

I also hope that the gentlemen on this site are able to keep things civil since they all usually are able to...and I have all the faith in the world that they will.

I also plan on tackling the picture-posting hurdle so that I might finally post my bows...cuz I know that that posting shooters is a requirement to becoming considered for Bow Trades/Swaps.

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2022, 11:16:43 pm »
If I want a bow of the class that I build, I'd build one for me.  It ain't  about getting a bow of equal quality. It's about the fun of getting new guys into the sport and really, the nice experience guys offer plenty of motivation to get them to participate and do their best. Having my name in the same hat as the big boys really excited me and motivated me. I think if you enter as a experienced guy, you do it to give and if you enter as a new guy you do it to push yourself harder.  If you wanna have classes, we have in the past done invite only trades that worked out well. I strongly feel this trade in particular needs to remain unadulterated. Let's not fix this until it's broken please.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline superdav95

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 11:49:48 pm »
If I want a bow of the class that I build, I'd build one for me.  It ain't  about getting a bow of equal quality. It's about the fun of getting new guys into the sport and really, the nice experience guys offer plenty of motivation to get them to participate and do their best. Having my name in the same hat as the big boys really excited me and motivated me. I think if you enter as a experienced guy, you do it to give and if you enter as a new guy you do it to push yourself harder.  If you wanna have classes, we have in the past done invite only trades that worked out well. I strongly feel this trade in particular needs to remain unadulterated. Let's not fix this until it's broken please.

I agree with sleek on this.   Well said!
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 12:06:23 am »
I agree with Sleek too.  I think adding classes would add more drama.  Simply deciding who is in what class could cause hard feelings I think.  These trades are hard enough to run the way it has been done in the past.

When I have joined in the trades in the past, I have always set my expectations that I would either not get a bow or get one that isn't great.  I have also placed expectations on myself to send out my best work.  This way, the only way i am disappointed is if i fail to create a bow i am proud to send out.  Only i can disappoint myself.  If i get a great bow then that is icing on the cake.  It turns out that i have had a lot of icing on my cake and have received some wonderful pieces of art from this community. 

Personally I really liked how the trade was last year.

bownarra

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 01:23:58 am »
Adding classes/divisions is a recipe for disaster! As Selfbowman said 'sometimes my arrow goes further'.....

Offline Kidder

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2022, 09:40:04 am »
Thanks for the input. I think the collective wisdom from those who have been doing it long enough is not to add classes so I certainly won’t change that. Other ideas, thoughts, or suggestions on what can be done better? Volunteers for an on time draw item? Thanks!

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2022, 10:05:00 pm »
As a novice bowbuilder in a past trade, I made my best effort and shipped it. I'm still happy with the big thay I sent.   The bow I received was a work of art from a true master Bowyer. Every bow I have built since has been better because of it.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2022, 04:37:36 pm »
I love the bow trade! Im looking forward to next year even if i dont participate! i love seeing the bows that people make for the trade!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2022, 07:08:28 pm »
I agree with Sleek 100%. I've been in lots of PA bow Trades over the years and they were always like Sleek said...for the seasoned bowyers to give something to the new guys and for the new guys to encourage them to make their best bow to date. It is a real boost for the new guys and the experienced bowyers get the pleasure of making someone's day with a beautiful new bow.
 I still have all the bows I received in the PA Bow Trades I was a part of and they are a main part of my archery collection; some are very nicely executed bows and some are "beginner's" bows but they all have equal value to me.
 Just like with the PA Christmas Trades it about giving and not what you might receive.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC