Author Topic: Pike early or later  (Read 6890 times)

Offline n2everythg

Pike early or later
« on: May 14, 2008, 11:07:20 pm »
So if you realize early in the tillering process that you are not going to make weight on a bow, would it be better to pike it early or wait until all tillering is finished?

I ask cause that snaky sage I am working on is really kicking my butt.
I am now 15 lbs at 15 inches and the tiller is still way off in one limb and the snakey limb... well who the heck knows.. I cant hardly tell...

'fraid this one may just be a learning experience...

The way I calculate it....even if i didnt scrape on it any more I'm thinking I would only hit maybe 55-60 using 3#/inch. That correct approx?
I got another 14 inches to pull.

Would y'all recommend I pike her now rather than later? or tiller her out and see where she ends up?
thanks
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Pike early or later
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 11:29:51 pm »
I recommend Pictures....and plenty of them!!!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 01:09:20 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Dano

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 12:06:01 am »
If it were me, I would wait. Accually I would put it aside and work on something else, loose your patience you loose a bow.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 12:14:48 am »
If it were me, I would wait. Accually I would put it aside and work on something else, loose your patience you loose a bow.
Sounds like good advice to me Dano.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 12:30:03 am »
good suggestion. and very good point I think.
 Im out of town next week for work. then Hickory is here. Im gonna lock it in the closet til I leave town then take it to hickory and get some opinions. in the meantime maybe I'll start another one or work on some arrows. 

but I did take a bunch of pics anyway for those not going to hickory.
And I did re weigh it. The bow has been in a warm box all day but it was pulling 21# at 15".
Never worked a snake before. One limb is snaky the other pretty straight.

so wanna see the ugly pics?

N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Dano

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 12:41:12 am »
N2 the tiller looks great, what length are you at, and what draw length are you shooting for? Character bows are tough, you are doing pretty good at this point.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 12:46:34 am »
Tiller looks good to me too, I would keep going and if you don't make weigth but tiller is good pike it then.
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 01:09:39 am »
I spoke too soon.....that Tiller looks nice....really nice.....do what the others said....wait till it is done....and then if you arent happy with the Weight....Pike it.....tham are some awesome Limbs on that Sucker!!! Love it!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 01:44:06 am »
hum. thanks... maybe I'm just 'skert.

or maybe the weird bends have my eyes all messed up. looks to me like that straight limb is much stronger and straighter than the kinky one and I couldnt figure out where it needed work as it makes a "U" bend up towards the back pretty close to the handle.
Maybe my eyes are just fuzzy.

Im at 15" and need to get to 30". so 1/2 way there and at 21 lbs now.

gonna drop it for the night tho its late.
gonna go dream of scrapin'
thanks
n2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Rich Saffold

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 01:48:14 am »
N2, Sometimes there are trade-offs, and if I got it shooting real good the way it is even if its a couple pounds light I'd leave it..There's plenty of straight wood to get the poundage you want from. You may get your poundage by piking that bow, but may lose some smoothness of draw, and cast as well. 

I'd be shooting for a great tiller, small tips, and a fast string to gain in cast what I might not get in poundage..remember a really fast 45# beats an average 55# bow..

Thats a great looking bow you got going there, and I'd be shooting it a bunch before piking it. It's osage so you can easily play with the shape using heat as well..

Keep a close eye on the snakey limb, and make sure its bending between the roller coasters..I'm sure this bow is a big step so don't feel like you have to finish it soon..

Rich

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 01:53:04 am »
Looks good. No butt kicking yet. A handy trick on a character stave is to check the tiller from the other side. The trouble with picking is the set is invariably increased because the bow was designed to be longer. I do not believe the cast is changed much. jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 01:56:42 am »
I think that bow is done, pull it one inch at a time several times, check for tiller changes, by the time you get to 28" it should be 55# or more
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 02:08:49 am »
Wade, It looks good to me also. One thing that has helped me with character limbs is to squint my eyes to look at each limb. It eliminates the details but gives you an overall look at the shape(bend).  For the next couple of hours you work on her, don't use a blade of any kind. Study the wood. Feel the wood See where it wants to go and guide it there. If you try to force it, you're in trouble.  Go reread "Zen ...Archery". ;) 8)
   Bring the bow to Hickory and we'll have a group discussion about it.  ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 07:03:18 am »
Looks good to me also,sometimes that snaky,humpy stuff is hard to see but that looks good
so far.I would finish it and then pike if you need more weight.Nice piece of wood.I love it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 03:06:19 pm »
You usually pike a bow when it's finished... if you want to add weight.