Author Topic: bow shock  (Read 2619 times)

Offline kayakfisher

bow shock
« on: May 14, 2008, 10:13:21 pm »
I just finnished a bow for my wife it is 58 inch ntn 1 1/4 to mid limb then taper to 1/2 inch at tips  it seems to have quite a bit of hand shock . How to eliminate it thinner tips , help
                                    Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: bow shock
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 11:31:42 pm »
Is it a stiff-handled bow or a D-bow? A few things that can cause excessive shock are heavy tips, bending too much through the handle, uneven tiller, etc. If the tiller is even, see if there is any excess mass on the tips that you can get rid of. Shooting heavier arrows helps, as does a looser grip. I made one once that was just shocky no matter what I did to it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 02:21:06 am »
I agree with Steve. Take some of the width off of the tips. That way you can reduce the physical weight with loosing strength. Take a bit off and check it, then a bit more until you see the tips bend just slightly at full draw. If your limbs aren't in time with each other will also cause unnecessary shock.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 10:13:58 am »
Thanks guys its stiff handle recurve
                                             Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Lost Arra

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 11:28:24 am »
This was suggested to me and it seems to help.

Once you have reduced the tips, checked tiller, etc, be sure to check the shape of the handle. If the handle/grip is blocky with distinct angles or corners, even if they are sanded smooth, any vibration will be exaggerated and make the bow feel more shocky.

Rounding the grip made this pecan bow very comfortable.