Author Topic: Flint  (Read 2323 times)

Offline TrevorM

Flint
« on: December 31, 2021, 12:25:42 am »
I got my wife a flint and steel set for Christmas, but the flint that came with it's not great. Do you guys have any recommendations/sources? She found flint knapping supplies .com that had 10lbs for ~$30, not sure if they're good/that's a reasonable price. Any help would be appreciated.
Trevor

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Flint
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 10:21:26 am »
Trevor. I’m sorry, but I really don’t have any experience with flint and steel. Wish I could help you more.

I believe the steel has to be high carbon as well as the flint being correct. I’m guessing there’s stuff laying on my chip pile that would work. I just cleaned it up though. Mostly obsidian and I doubt that’s ideal.

Might try taking your steel to a bridge or river. Pick through rif raf. Break some stone and strike it with the steel. See if it sparks. I’ve heard guys say that’s how they look for flint before

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 04:31:17 pm »
I didn't even think about it possibly being the steel, but I guess that's also something I should check. It was from a proper store though so I'd think it's good. That's a good idea about the river, we have a creak on our land so maybe I can find something there.
Trevor

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 06:16:01 pm »
Trevor, Just about any flint type flint will spark on good steel, I have even used obsidian to make weak sparks and obsidian is natures glass, some sandstones will also spark and many other just rocks that I'm not what sure there names are. If you have any knappers close to ya they usually have all kinds of scrap flint pcs that will work. Your striker needs to be high carbon steel, My personal striker is made of and old 1/2"X 1/2" file, Most kit strikers in my opion are to thin and small, I understand the small light wt. fits in a small can or pouch but my bigger strikers throw alot more sparks. Not sure about your experience with flint and steel but technique also comes in to play, You need to try and shave the steel off with the flints sharp edge. Not sure where you live but if you still need flint let me know and I'll send ya a small flat rate box for the cost of shipping, Bob :-T

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 11:09:12 am »
That's very generous of you Bob! I'm not terribly experience with it, so technique could certainly be part of it. I can get it to throw a spark, but only just. It takes a quite a few goes fairly hard and fast to get anything. We couldn't get the char cloth to catch at all. My wife went to a B.O.W. class last year and did it there. She was able to get a spark there, which is why we were thinking it might be the flint. The set was from Townsends, which was recommended to us. She liked the flint she found on that site because it was larger pieces so it'd be easier to hold, but now I'm wondering if that maybe harder to strike correctly? I do think a larger strike would help too, I have an old file I can use. Do you to do anything special to it?
Trevor

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 02:02:11 pm »
Hmm, I’d really figure your kit from Townsends would be fine.  Makes me wonder if your char-cloth is fully carbonized cotton?  You should definitely be throwing sparks…

Pictures?
1’—>1’

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 07:28:01 pm »
The char-cloth was part of the kit too. I'll try and get some pics tonight and post tomorrow.
Trevor

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 06:12:15 pm »
Georgetown works really good in my flintlock. Also, Ryolite is a good sparking rock.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2022, 09:10:52 am »
Most kits you purchase have quarts and not flint that come with them. Char cloth is easy to make, u-tube for information. Some of my kits. Some have flint and steel and some ferro rods.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 12:08:05 pm »
Nice kits White falcon.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 07:21:32 pm »
The cheap TX gravel flint on Ebay (often labeled as "Primo") is usually better for flint and steel kits than for knapping.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 03:34:38 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys, very helpful! I did find a few rocks to try locally but they didn't seem to be any good. They sparked even less than the ones that came with it. But, I did find a couple of knapping rocks I've had for ages that work really well. I'd totally forgotten about them, I think I received them as part of the Christmas trade a few years ago and had just put them in a draw.
Trevor

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2022, 10:15:21 pm »
 It might be the steel is the problem and not the rock. Your striker needs to be made from a high carbon steel to throw good sparks.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?