Author Topic: Hawthorn, any suggestions??  (Read 3078 times)

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
Hawthorn, any suggestions??
« on: May 12, 2008, 10:05:43 pm »
Hey all,  i have some questions for your expetiece... we have GOBBS of hawthorn around here. most of it is very snarly stuff, however i have found about 20 or so trees (still standing) that have much potential. i cut a log back in january, and it sat whole until last friday. i cut a 1/8" kerf the whole length and split it in half. it is surprisingly hard stuff to split.

now down to buisiness. where to go from here? the bark is still on, but i tested a small piece that split free from the main log, and it still pealed without too much trouble. so should i take the bark off, split it into smaller staves, work it down to basic dementions, or just leave it as is till the fall. im not really in a hurry as i have 4 hickory bows going right now.

What im really looking for is anyones expierence with the wood, its tendencies, properties, and such. any pics of finished bows with dementions would be helpfull too. i should beable to get 2 bows out of this log so i have a bit of room to expirement.

Thanks in advance!

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

jape

Re: Hawthorn, any suggestions??
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 02:08:03 am »
I hope you gifted the faeries, hawthorn doesn't forgive being taken easily.
I used to use it a lot as a kid in UK for split-sapling bows, made dozens, and it was fine. That is not exactly a good technical recommendation I know but it was resilient and forgiving, quite strong but not the best. It would take a set over time but still perform. I have a stave drying myself right now. Will let you know how it goes as I work it.

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 08:16:47 am »
Hi Phil,

I know of two people currently shooting hawthorn bows over here in the UK.  Both are flatbows with wide crowned backs, with a taper from handle fades to limb tip.  If memory serves me, they one I rememebr the most is about 1.5" wide at the fades tapering to less than 0.5" tips, and about 64" long.  The wood is very hard and seems to make good bows.

Have fun, Bob
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 09:37:08 am »
The Hawthorne we have up here never grows very big and is indeed very gnarly. I was able to find one a few years ago that was big enough to make a bow, it was about 2" in diameter. I made a bow with it a few months ago.  The wood works easily enough and seem to have a good balance of tension and compression strengths.  This is the bow I made

The bow turned out at 50# @ 28", is 64" long and has limbs 1 1/4" wide. I was quite pleased with how the bow turned out and I am looking for others trees to cut.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 02:15:16 pm »
I have made a couple of good bows out of hawthorn. 
No way as good as osage or hickory, etc. But will do in a pinch.
I have a log right now that I plan to back with, say, ash or hickory. I think it will make a sharp bow.
If the bark comes off easily when green do remove it but then seal the whole thing up with varnish.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 08:24:56 pm »
Good replies by everyone, thanks!
Jape, the faries gave me strict instruction to take this tree, it was blocking their view of the sunrise. looking forward to hearing about your project, mine will probably be a while yet.

Bob, sounds like good dementions to starrt from.  this was one main thing i was wondering about.

Marc, thats a beauty you have there! 1 1/4 wide too, this stuff is very dense, so i guess that makes sence. although my skills arnt near as good as yours so ill  probably overbuild it a bit. for the first one anyhow. The tree i cut was 8" at the base and probably 15' tall. thats about the average around here. i also noticed that the growth rings were very hard to discern, and were very close together. probably around 15 to 25 to the inch. but like i said they were pretty hard to see.

Oldbow, i will go ahead and take the bark off and seal it. i figure that way i can atleast plan the bow out a bit more. and if i get the gumption take it down to floor tiller to dry it the rest of the way.

Ok now one more question. the main wood ive worked with is hickory, and it is very hydroscopic (sp). does anybody know how hawthorn is for holding on to moisture?

thanks again!

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.