Author Topic: Any commercial fishers here  (Read 909 times)

Offline sleek

Any commercial fishers here
« on: September 29, 2021, 12:56:45 pm »
I'm looking for a liscence and could use some knowledge. Anyone in the industry?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Any commercial fishers here
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 09:27:12 am »
I don't know about elsewhere but in Alabama there are no special requirements but one does have to buy a commercial license which is $100 for fresh water, another separate license is needed to fish salt water.

A regular fishing license is $14, none is needed if you are over 65.

I worked with a commercial fisherman, his family had fished for generations. He worked on his equipment on midnight shifts if things were slow at the power plant. He tied trotlines and built fish traps and showed me every aspect of his fishing technique. He was a wealth of knowledge and fished the TN River year round for catfish as well as mussel diving in his spare time.

We tied me a set of trotlines, I put them out per his instructions and caught so many fish in one trip that I had trouble giving them away.

I fished my lines for a while but burned out on it, it is hard work getting bait, putting the lines out and dealing with the fish.

I sold most of my jump boxes but have a new one just for for SHTF situations, with it I know I can have something to eat when others are starving. The one I have is a 100 hook line that has never been in the water, I keep it "just in case", I live about 1/3 of a mile from a huge lake on the TN river (Wilson).

« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 09:35:49 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: Any commercial fishers here
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 05:31:00 pm »
regular fishing license  here in Calfiornia is over 50$