Author Topic: Extreme weight forward - Asby style trade point  (Read 10215 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Extreme weight forward - Asby style trade point
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 01:58:05 am »
Looks good Kenneth.  When you get a shot you want to know for sure the equipment is up to it and that one leaves no doubt.  I saw an elk yesterday that already has a pretty good set of horns started.  He is going to be a monster. To bad he is in a closed area.  You getting those horses in shape for fall?  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Little John

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 08:07:13 am »
Justin, we have been riding our show horses, the others we are just feeding . I have been seeing a few elk in the canyon country which is good for after work hunts. anxious to get to the high country. Are you going to have an elk area to hunt in Utah?  Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 02:43:21 pm »
I didn't get a limited entry tag this year so I'm trying to make it over to hunt with you. I can get an archery tag over the counter every year, but the odds are not real good in those areas.  If I cant get over there I will probably go open area. I can shoot a bull or cow in those areas. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 10:42:42 pm »
all i have ever killed is deer. :'( i want to kill a moose. from the way they make it look on tv, ya can walk up to it, have a conversation about it, pet it, measure its horns, tie a rope around it, lead it back to camp, then shoot it.

im goofing around of cource, but the guys on the sportsman channle get pretty darn close to em before sticking them.
lets just shoot it

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 10:46:48 pm »
Have you ever been near a pissed off Moose in Rut???? Aint too Purty.....they are an obnoxious Animal..... and charge like a Rhino..

I would hate to wound one and have it charge..... Aint nothing Like a Elk or Whitetail ....nuthin!!!

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 11:11:55 pm »
....carry the ole trusty ruger .44 superblackhawk just incase ya caint reach a tree. :P

lol, no. now that i think about it i really dont want to pick on a moose.
lets just shoot it

Offline Little John

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 11:15:52 pm »
I have heard they can get mad even when unprovoked, If I shoot one I hope ne never knows that I am in the area and doesn't know where the sting came from.   Not too likely I will ever get the chance.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 11:38:59 pm »
Nice lookin arrow Kenneth, sure it'll do the job if it connects - the way you were shooting them targets, i'd say if a shot presents itself - you'll connect ;). Man, wish i could get up there elk huntin again. Only been once with a rifle - never fired a shot for the thousand the trip cost me, but the experience was worth it :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Little John

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 01:09:48 am »
Thanks Cowboy, actually I think I was just having a lucky day that time at Pappys, but have been really trying to work on the nuts and bolts of good shooting, perfect draw, perfect visuilization, perfect anchor, perfect release, perfect follow thru, sometimes it works. Where and when did you hunt elk? Maybe you should try to make it out some time.     Kenneth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2008, 02:06:30 am »
I've seen Kenneth shoot in elk camp and except for a grouse or 2, he couldn't miss! ;)  Unfortunately, the elk had other plans that week.  It might be good that there were no elk around. Kenneth had to hike out to get horses to pack my crippled ass out. ;D    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2008, 03:25:53 am »
Where do you live Kenneth??? I am 200 miles from Raton New Mexico....and 425 miles to Gunnison Colorado...I have been to Rifle Colorado and Glendale Springs on Hunts with my Father and Brothers before....but thats it....love the Mountains
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Little John

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2008, 09:49:46 am »
Pat, I still remember all those arrows I have sticking in the tops of those trees. I have a thing about grouse, even the ones I have killed before were stupid enough to give me multiple shots. And I know how it is to be crippled, was welding in the mud, snow and frozen rough terain last winter from crutches with a broken and sprained ankle. Any way it was nothing to go get the horses for a friend and partner and much easier than carrying you out on my own back. What a good time that was.

Destructo, I live in the four corners part of Colo. near Cortez. I was raised in Plainview Texas south of where you live.  What do you do there in the panhandle?   Kenneth

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2008, 10:25:42 am »
Kenneth,, we hunted overlooking Montrose first (can't remember the name of forest) then move to Dolores valley - saw lots of elk and lots of orange humans, never got a shot :(.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2008, 08:28:01 pm »
Destructo, I live in the four corners part of Colo. near Cortez. I was raised in Plainview Texas south of where you live.  What do you do there in the panhandle?   Kenneth

I work at the ConocoPhillips Refinery in Borger....I am a Heavy Crane Operator for Zachry Construction Corporation.... I run a 888 Manitowoc Crawler Crane....We have the Maintenance Contract there.

I see where you are....all kinds of Federal Land over there too....I bet thats some nice Country....never seen it....been to Gunnison....but thats the closest to the 4 Corners I have been in Colorado...been to Farmington Shiprock....Tuba City....but never Cortez....might just have to make a point of going that way one day!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Dustybaer

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2008, 03:59:34 pm »
not to hijack your thread, little john, but similar thoughts (and the Ashby reports) yielded these tradepoints that a friend is making for me.  they are 2" by 1" and weigh in at 211gr.  i'll get a dozen of them for my two-fletch set.  and yes, i'll let y'all know how they fly, once i get them.  ;D

by the way, would these points be legal in the US?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 07:11:35 am by Dustybaer »