Author Topic: snake bow  (Read 2054 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

snake bow
« on: July 30, 2021, 02:54:23 pm »
  this is bow I am making for a friend, the arrows are by Kim Brooks,,his work has inspired much of the art I do on my bows,
I have some things I wish I had done differently in designing the bow,, I should have pre stressed the bow more before applying sinew,,is the main thing,, and I should have applied a bit more sinew,,  that being said it shoots really well,, even testing through the chrono, shows it has nice performance with an even profile, just think it could have been better if it held some reflex,,
  the bow is 62 inches long and draws about 60 at 30 inches,, it is osage,, and the snake skin is wrapped around the whole bow in most areas,, I put art work to compensate for the skin in some areas,, it will be eventually elk hunting, so wanted the skin to help protect it from rain showers that do occur ,, I also want to take time to thank all the people that post such nice photos, posting these reminded me what a lablor of love it is,, it does take time and effort and is greatly appreciated,, :) oh the handle wrap is thin goat rawhide, and is painted red underneath,,

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: snake bow
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 02:56:01 pm »
more pics

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 02:57:25 pm »
more pics

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 03:00:58 pm »
   more pics,, ok will do braced and full draw, I need to make a string and fine tune the string nocks,,, also better photo of side profile, its pretty much even, not holding any reflex,,
   also most of the art is on the belly side,, it bends through the handle a bit,, the detail with red paint is where the snake skins were joined,,,,I couldnt put them under handle like I normally do,, one was long and the other short, so I just used them the best I could, I wanted to paint the seam,, so it would water proof it as much as possible,,  I am spraying poly over the whole bow,,
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 03:04:15 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Online TimBo

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 03:20:22 pm »
Wow, that's a gorgeous set!  I couldn't possibly shoot those arrows though...they are way too pretty.  (I could manage to shoot the bow despite its beauty, but would do it with my ugly hickory arrows!)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 03:34:39 pm »
yes I am not sure I can shoot them, thats why I havent put feathers on yet,, ;D

Offline Will B

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 04:43:03 pm »
That’s a beautiful bow and arrows set Brad. I look forward to seeing this one bend. Excellent job on another nice sinew-backed bow from you.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 05:07:12 pm »
thank you guys, I will get it bending,,  :D

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 06:34:37 pm »
 Very cool set, cant wait to see it bent
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline bassman211

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 07:06:12 pm »
Nice congrads.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2021, 07:44:31 pm »
   Brad,
             Love those belly scales!!! The paint is awesome and I would probably tense up a bit when shooting one of those arrows, target panic would ensue, wouldn't want to screw one up! Awesome job  8)...  Again, those belly scales are a touch of class...Rich and I had talked about putting them on the back, but you done it properly Sir...That bow has strong medicine...

Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 07:53:59 pm »
thank you so much, I am getting nervous bout the arrows,, ;D  maybe Ill use them for display,,  ;D

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 12:35:33 am »
Sure love the looks of that one. Like others have said, ant wait to see full draw. And those arrows are just fantastic.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2021, 02:56:01 am »
Nice bow Brad!
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 02:49:59 pm »
Wow Brad, that's a beautiful set. Really like what you've done. The joint of the skins is just conciously and relaxed; the belly is lovely with the scaless and other artwork.
The arras also look great. How did you paint that snake skin motive and what is the shiny finish?

Again great work!!!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany