Author Topic: Old Slazenger wooden flatbow  (Read 2445 times)

Offline shooter123

• UK
Old Slazenger wooden flatbow
« on: July 20, 2021, 10:36:14 am »
Hi, is it safe to string and shoot an old wooden bow like this? It's been in someone's attic for about 30 years and probably dates from the 60s.

It was briefly strung using the old string but the brace height was only around 4 inches IIRC as the string was old and broke shortly after, can't see any cracks in the limbs or riser. It's 25lbs, all wood and does have a fair amount of set. Looks like a youth bow as it's around 60 inches long and max draw length written on the limbs is 23 or 25 inches.

I'd love to know more about it if anyone was around back then, I've been told Slazenger bows such as this were commonly available in UK shops at the time.

Is it safe to play with if I get a new string or likely to break?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 10:41:06 am by shooter123 »
Nock... Mark... Draw... Loose!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Old Slazenger wooden flatbow
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 10:47:54 am »
If it were mine I'd not try to string and shoot this bow but admire it for what it is; a part of archery history. Looks like lemonwood.
 Have you done a Google search for info on this bow or the company that made it?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline shooter123

• UK
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 10:59:55 am »
If it were mine I'd not try to string and shoot this bow but admire it for what it is; a part of archery history. Looks like lemonwood.
 Have you done a Google search for info on this bow or the company that made it?

Thanks. It actually belongs to a relative and he's the one who wanted to see if its shootable, but I'll tell him your recommendation not to. Does the wood deteriorate over time?

I did come across a few forums posts elsewhere and 2 youtube videos of a guy shooting one, but not much else. I guess the lack of content or information probably means not many have survived or the rest are sitting in attics gathering dust.

Slazenger are still going but no longer sell bows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 11:06:27 am »
To make it shootable you will have to reeducate the wood to bend and recover just like working in a new selfbow. It can be done but in my mind it is more valuable as an artifact. You are lucky you didn't cause damage when the old string broke.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline shooter123

• UK
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 11:19:22 am »
To make it shootable you will have to reeducate the wood to bend and recover just like working in a new selfbow. It can be done but in my mind it is more valuable as an artifact. You are lucky you didn't cause damage when the old string broke.

Thanks I'll let the owner know, he was the one who strung it although I did warn him it was a bad idea lol. Is the reeducating part just a case of slowly drawing to a low draw and bringing it back down again a couple times then repeating and working up to full draw?

Also regarding the brace height, would it have been possible for youth bows such as this to have been designed for lower brace heights than the standard 6-7 inches? Being all wood it doesn't have the strength advantage of a modern fiberglass bow.

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 11:19:36 am »
Would rehydrating the wood be beneficial?

Not wetting the surfaces but placing in a sealed bag or cylindrical container with moist rags not touching the wood and letting the sun provide a moist environment for a few days or weeks.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 11:23:55 am by Gimlis Ghost »

Online GlisGlis

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 11:26:49 am »
from what i can find online this bow was sold with 70cm arrows so If you shoot it dont go over 27' draw

Offline shooter123

• UK
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 11:34:48 am »
Would rehydrating the wood be beneficial?

Not wetting the surfaces but placing in a sealed bag or cylindrical container with moist rags not touching the wood and letting the sun provide a moist environment for a few days or weeks.

I'd not heard of this method before, does the wood dry out making it weak?

from what i can find online this bow was sold with 70cm arrows so If you shoot it dont go over 27' draw
Thanks, have you got a link? I hadn't managed to come across this.

Online GlisGlis

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 11:49:31 am »
add  ( https://www.   )    colonialsoldier.com/160/2894/

Offline Hamish

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 11:58:19 am »
I can see almost anyone who is not bow savvy overdrawing, and probably wrecking it as a bow.
Most people don't deserve wooden bows.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 12:44:58 pm »
"Most people don't deserve wooden bows."

Dark, but true!  For some reason that statement really entertains me.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2021, 01:18:38 pm »
To reeducate you want to slowly bend the bow slightly until you can get it to a low brace. From there leave it braced for an hour or so and slowly increase to a standard brace then slowly draw, inch by inch, exercising as you go. Do all of this over a few days to a week.
 But, again I say, if it were mine I'd just admire it as a piece of archery history and not try to shoot it.
 Take the measurements and reproduce it if you need to take a shot. I think lemonwood is available in the UK.

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2021, 03:15:46 pm »
Most of these old mass produced wooden bows aren't worth much.  I'd give it a try.  The riser glue looks like resorcinol and appears to still be a pretty sound joint.  These glued on riders do tend to separate over time and many who resurrect these old bows just try to freshen up the glue surfaces and re-glue if the glued on  piece does pop off.

Offline willie

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 04:18:05 pm »

I'd not heard of this method before, does the wood dry out making it weak?

being in an attic for 30 years especially in a hot or dry climate may cause the wood to need to be rehydrated, as it can become brittle. 

An over dry bow is actually stiffer but can still break sooner, especially if it starts bending more in one spot.

wood can also deteriorate over time and become weaker.

if you choose to retrain the bow with the method patb suggests, you need to evaluate the bend as you go, so that it does not start to bend too much in one spot.   guys here will be happy to advise you if you post pics as you go.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 04:22:26 pm by willie »

Offline Hamish

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2021, 08:57:07 pm »

My issue is not whether it is possible(it definitely is), its whether its smart. Unless the person that wants the bow has a 23-25" draw length and wants a 25lb bow, its not a good decision. That person is probably not going to be happy, and will probably overdraw it, break it.
That type of person(the average person) is better off with a glassed bow or compound, that they can shoot.

I can't count the amount of times I have seen or heard of some ignorant yokel, hoicking back a bow, and wrecking the set, or breaking it outright.

I used to buy a lot of vintage bows on ebay. I bought an auction of several bows that included a nice little ladies bow, made from yew, backed with fortisan, including the original string. Its was in virtually mint condition. I use a freight forwarder to ship to Australia, because its much cheaper than shipping direct with a courier.  When the bow turned up it was in 3 pieces violently broken, from a tension break. The other 2 bows were perfect. No damage to the packaging, little bow obviously broken by some dick saying to themselves " gee I'll have a go at this , I use to do archery at summer camp, I know what I'm doing."    I still have the 3 broken pieces, and can't bring myself to throw it away because the workmanship was so nice. Just a waste, an unnecessary waste.

The Slazenger bow may not be priceless, but there are still not many out there, in good condition. it is better of as a piece of history, rather than splinters and kindling.