Author Topic: Bow draw weight down and up  (Read 3504 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Bow draw weight down and up
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2021, 05:42:59 pm »
Every bow stave is different and every bow will react a little differently to initial poundage loss after shooting, lots of factors, the skill of the bowyer, the type of wood, the bow design, the relative humidity and host of others.

I know my bows well and tweak the tiller endlessly if they need it while I own them. I only shoot one bow, I have a bunch but find I am the best shot if I shoot one bow exclusively so I know its personality. I hunt and shoot tournaments with the same bow, I know when it is good to go after a brief warm up, it doesn't take 60 shots for me to figure this out.   
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 11:54:21 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline willie

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2021, 06:22:21 pm »
you may have found a way to evaluate bow wood for it's viscoelastic properties.

The last reflex deflect has no noticable set, so it's small.

there is also the what has been called hidden set.  A belly might ordinarily become compacted and cause the entire bow to exhibit some set.  A belly could also suffer from compaction, but a strong back can pull the bow straight giving the appearance of no damage.

I also assume arrow weight would play a role. I would think a lighter arrow would take longer,

Please clarify what you mean by longer.   Testing with lighter arrows might be more revealing when searching for efficiency.

PS.  one statical method when evaluating a series of fps is to throw out the high and the low and average the remaining ten.

gutpile

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2021, 01:11:04 pm »
white woods especially tend to take the humidity and soak it up.. is this bow finished  and sealed ? if not this is not uncommon.. gut

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2021, 01:27:38 pm »
white woods especially tend to take the humidity and soak it up.. is this bow finished  and sealed ? if not this is not uncommon.. gut

Yes, all the bows are finished. It's not 1 bow, it's a dozen or so.
Don

Offline TimBo

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2021, 01:38:29 pm »
If you want to see how it does for hunting, why not give it a few warmup pulls, then let it sit in the shade for a few hours, then shoot it.  Just don't forget about it!

Offline Don W

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2021, 02:01:56 pm »
If you want to see how it does for hunting, why not give it a few warmup pulls, then let it sit in the shade for a few hours, then shoot it.  Just don't forget about it!

The max was 4# difference, which will make very little difference in hunting situations. I was just looking for information. It seems it's normal, but it seems there is a lot of confusion. Lots of opinions but no firm reasoning.

I just thought it odd it's never been mentioned anywhere in all the design and how-to books and articles I've read.
Don

gutpile

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2021, 02:18:14 pm »
what type of sealer are you using. ? any idea what MC was before they were sealed ?..

Offline Don W

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2021, 02:25:41 pm »
what type of sealer are you using. ? any idea what MC was before they were sealed ?..

Most were tru-oil, the last 2 or 3 are several coats a spar varnish. Last several around 7%MC (i built a better hot box) . First several between 8-11%
Don

Offline StickMark

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2021, 01:33:14 pm »
Took my bow scale and inch-marked stick into the mtns to shoot and hunt yesterday.
While out in MO, the humidity in S. AZ rose quite a bit, 60% common.
One sinew bow recently posted came in at first stringing with a DW of 51.6#, 25".  It had sat for two weeks inside.

Shot it 25 times, and it came in at 50.4#.
Hunted rabbits, high humidity outside and strung a good 8 hours. The DW measured 49.84#, so about 50#...lost about 1.5 #. I am peering down at the scale and the bow string and the marks, so these are approximate measures.

I can live with that. Like Eric K said, the variable are numerous.

Offline Don W

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2021, 01:38:35 pm »
Took my bow scale and inch-marked stick into the mtns to shoot and hunt yesterday.
While out in MO, the humidity in S. AZ rose quite a bit, 60% common.
One sinew bow recently posted came in at first stringing with a DW of 51.6#, 25".  It had sat for two weeks inside.

Shot it 25 times, and it came in at 50.4#.
Hunted rabbits, high humidity outside and strung a good 8 hours. The DW measured 49.84#, so about 50#...lost about 1.5 #. I am peering down at the scale and the bow string and the marks, so these are approximate measures.

I can live with that. Like Eric K said, the variable are numerous.

The question is, is it moisture, or just the nature of a wood bow. I don't believe any reasonably sealed piece of wood will change MC in the matter of minutes or even a few hours.

The same thing happens to my bows that are hung (stored) in my shop, the shot in my shop. No MC change whatsoever. That has been my last few test.
Don

Offline willie

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2021, 04:35:48 pm »
The question is, is it moisture, or just the nature of a wood bow.

both, or rather the nature of some woods, (some more, some less)

gutpile

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2021, 04:49:43 pm »
don those numbers are pretty dry.. anything under 8% is too dry IMO.. and over 12% is too wet... if you really stuck the wood and got those numbers it certainly isn't too wet.. spar varathene is what I use and good success.. I've never used tru oil on a bow.because it is too shiny to me.. but as for a sealant it should be fine.. a bow can also lose a few pounds during break in... and if taken to a much drier climate gain significant poundage... gut

Offline Don W

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2021, 05:02:32 pm »
don those numbers are pretty dry.. anything under 8% is too dry IMO.. and over 12% is too wet... if you really stuck the wood and got those numbers it certainly isn't too wet.. spar varathene is what I use and good success.. I've never used tru oil on a bow.because it is too shiny to me.. but as for a sealant it should be fine.. a bow can also lose a few pounds during break in... and if taken to a much drier climate gain significant poundage... gut

As I keep saying, I don't believe this is moisture related. Some of the bow have been in my shop for months and since it's been raining sometimes, several of the test scenarios never left the shop and even going outside, moisture isn't going to affect wood in the few minutes it take to shoot a dozen or a few dozen arrows.
Don

Offline PatM

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2021, 06:19:10 pm »
This is normal.  Wood compacts a little and then expands when rested.

gutpile

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2021, 10:00:28 am »

As I keep saying, I don't believe this is moisture related. Some of the bow have been in my shop for months and since it's been raining sometimes, several of the test scenarios never left the shop and even going outside, moisture isn't going to affect wood in the few minutes it take to shoot a dozen or a few dozen arrows.
[/quote]
Tell that to hickory down south and it will prove you wrong..gut