Author Topic: First time bow layout questions  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Bendry

First time bow layout questions
« on: June 26, 2021, 04:54:51 pm »
I am looking to build my first bow of many, starting with this 76" long piece of naturally reflexed ash. I have got it to the point where I want to cut it down to a 2" wide blank for me to start planning my shape from and am wondering about the best way to proceed.
It seems to me that I have two options. I hope the images can convey my thoughts, I'm not sure I will make total sense in explaining them.
I can either use the edge that split out of the log, I assume that is on the grain line, and accept maximum twist. Or I can lay it out on a slight diagonal, and make up for some of the twist.
Writing this out makes me think that the slight diagonal is a bad idea and I might have answered my own question. I guess I have to start my posting somewhere.
Shoot 'em if ya got 'em

Offline RyanY

Re: First time bow layout questions
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 05:09:56 pm »
I’d follow the edges as long as the tips line up with the handle. That jig in the middle is kind of weird for a right handed shooter but would work well for a lefty.

Offline Bendry

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 05:33:17 pm »
Ok Ryan, thanks for the confirmation. We'll see where this takes me. I keep dithering about choosing a stave but really I just have to get rolling on one.
Shoot 'em if ya got 'em

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 06:22:11 pm »
As a newbie you probably can't do what I would do. I would take the twist out, straighten out the kink, cut the stave at the bend, splice the current facing tip as the handle and lay out the bow perfectly straight.

Offline Bendry

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 06:44:05 pm »
Jeez Eric, that makes it sound like a total mess. I guess I'll just have to give it a whirl and see what comes out. There is lots more potential bow wood here for later more experienced projects.
I am going to try to heat and bend the twist out tho.
Shoot 'em if ya got 'em

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 02:18:45 am »
The split edge should be good to follow but your best bet is to follow the crown of the stave. Eyeball it enough and you will  see the fiber path down the stave.
Don't worry about the none straightness! Draw your centerline. Mark out 1" either side and then reduce your blank down to these lines.
Then post more pics.

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 08:16:57 am »
It's going to be interesting. It'll be a learning experience for a lot of us.
Don

Offline scp

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 12:01:18 pm »
I would start with a dead straight Hickory board. But if you must use that stave, just do what Bownarra said. Do not force your preconceptions on the stave. Let the stave tell you what it can do to become a bow.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 01:05:39 pm »
That's a tough stave for your first or your 50th. LOL.
Straight grained red oak boards is a good start.
My site may help you.
But follow that grain that goes tip to tip.
like this....
http://traditionalarchery101.com/layout.html
There are other things on my site too.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Bendry

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 02:11:03 pm »
Thanks everyone! I feel like I'm going to do this as well as I can, but now I'm not worried about it not working anymore.
Jawge, I was already on your site and I'm hoping that I can just the jug and wrench method to deal with some twist.
I'm going to get it down to 2 inches today at least so I will throw up some more photos tonight. I have a tendency to want to learn on the hardest projects possible. It often ends in a failure if a learning experience.
Shoot 'em if ya got 'em

Offline Bendry

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 10:50:20 pm »
Got it down to two inches. The twist is serious but I'm hoping I can deal with it. The grain seems to be running nice and straight tho so that's nice
Shoot 'em if ya got 'em

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 01:09:09 pm »
Go ahead if you want. I think we are just trying to get a bow in your hands asap. :) Jawge
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 01:07:21 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 06:43:54 am »
The twist is "slight" not "serious". that amount can be ignored , or easily removed with some steaming along the whole limb and a bit or torque
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Bendry

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2021, 08:19:58 am »
Thanks Del, I'll give it a try.
Shoot 'em if ya got 'em

Offline Woody roberts

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2021, 02:54:07 pm »
I’ve had pretty good luck by following the grain. Before finishing the handle I shoot it a few times to determine which limb is the top. I’ve made a couple like yours that came out very near center shot. They shoot a wide variety of arrows very well.