Author Topic: Hunting in buckskins  (Read 12665 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Hunting in buckskins
« on: May 10, 2008, 01:37:11 am »
Well last nite I smoked my newly accuired shirt and pants, I was told that that would waterproof them a bit and darken them, well it didn't darken them all that much and they are still bright yellow.

I went hunting this morning and gave the buckskins a try, here's my review,

as soon as I wore them they felt physicaly quite heavy, but that didn't last long.

the outfit felt soft and comfortable, as I was taking my costumary 1/2 dz practice shots before hunting I realised that some of the fringes on the left shoulder where interfering with the string,..the K-BAR took care of that ;D

I felt like a big yellow street sing so i decided to head to one of my blinds, when you're so accostumed to blend in with the enviroment it's quite an unconfortable feeling to look so bright with my periferal vision I could see part of me moving, and I was cringing all the time(that color is something that I have to take care one way or another)

The outfit is wanderfully quite, what a plesure moving is.

Sat in my bling 4 hours, didn't see a pig, took a shot at a mongooe but missed ::) ::)

the skins aren't as hot as I was led to belive, at times I was cold sitting in the forest, and on my way out under the blasting sunshine I didn't get hot at all.

not for those all daymountaing climbing hunts, but defenatly good for short forest ammbush hunts ( once I get them a different color :D )

and definatly a winner for next winter !!!
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

gene roberts

Re: Hunting in buckskins
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 02:10:02 am »
sweet  I need me some of them.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 02:34:34 am »
Well lets se them Manny.........
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 04:10:28 am »
Today I was almost hoping not to ran into pigs, I didn't really want to take a picture looking like a bran new big bright....something ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

I'll show them when they are hunt worthy looking ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 04:34:04 am »
go roll around in the Sand on the Beach...or better yet....find ya a good Hog Wallow....and roll int hat....Ought to put some color into them Yeller Britches and Shirt!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 04:45:28 am »
Come on Manny, cough it up. This I gotta see!  ;D
Gordon

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 09:27:29 am »
Are they braintan Manny?, not sure if smoking commercially tanned skin would help, also how long did ya smoke em?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 11:24:11 am »
Manny, I want to see this too!
   Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 02:11:50 pm »
Dana, no not brain tanned, I smoked them for over an hour each, and the color didn't change all that much, but i got a couple of ideas I'm developing in my little brain, as soon I make up my mind I'll attack them ;D

you guys really wanna see me looking like a big musturd bottle ? :D :D ...once i got this babys to look rigth I'll surely take a picture, it would be better if i was standing behind a nice boar ;) ;), but if not I'll show hem anyway
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 02:59:00 pm »
Manny I'm not sure that smoking commercially tanned skins will do anything, my understanding for smoking brain tanned skins
is that it makes them not revert to stiff leather after a soaking. Perhaps jamie will weigh in and educate us.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 05:52:49 pm »
Manny, You will probably have to dye them with a commercial leather dye or perhaps Rit dye....maybe a natural plant dye from Hawaii.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 06:25:17 pm »
How about oiling them ? this would help too in waterprofing rigth ?

I have this cold pressed coconut oil that is very lite and not all that oily (if that makes sense ;D )
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 06:34:29 pm »
Lets see them Manny....cant tell you what to use if We cant see the Color of them!!!! You may have to Dye them to ge rid of the Mustardy Color....
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 10:07:28 pm »
Problem with commercial dyes is it will bleed when wet, perhaps a mink oil which should darken themup.
Of course theirs always the mud pit eh :D

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 12:45:29 am »
If the surface is sueded the oil will mat it down. You could do a test on a small section to see how it works.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC