Author Topic: Recurve Question  (Read 5456 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Recurve Question
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2021, 12:19:57 pm »
TBIII. Be sure the glue surfaces and well matched and mated.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Oldvol

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2021, 04:28:02 pm »
Thank you. Will do.

Offline Oldvol

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2021, 01:31:49 pm »
Bent the first limb of my bow yesterday. Boiled it 20 min. in a pot covered with aluminum foil. Bow went on the caul easily, but had a hairline crack across entire width at top of the bend. Let it cool for 6 hours. Then started heat treating the belly with both ends of the limb still clamped to the caul. BIG mistake. As the limb heated up the crack became more pronounced.

Bent the 2nd limb today and all is well so far. Have not heat treated it yet. Hope to repair the 1st limb with glue and then back both with a thin strip of cherry. Anyone have advise on repairing the crack?

bownarra

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2021, 02:25:01 pm »
There is no need to apply more heat after steam bending. I've bent some pretty sharp recurves by boiling them. They will not pull out or change shape once cooled. I'm not sure why this technique is beng used now.
You can of course heat treat the belly after the tips have cooled but you will need a form to clamp the curves to to prevent them 'uncurling' as you apply the heat. This is a different thing though.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2021, 04:19:05 pm »
If your tips are 1/2, steam for a half hour, 5/8 tips steam for 45 min. I typically steam at least a half hour if not more just to prevent any mishaps. I also leave it in the caul over night and dont do any bending for a couple days. Again just how I do my recurves.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2021, 05:47:54 pm »
There is no need to apply more heat after steam bending. I've bent some pretty sharp recurves by boiling them. They will not pull out or change shape once cooled. I'm not sure why this technique is beng used now.
You can of course heat treat the belly after the tips have cooled but you will need a form to clamp the curves to to prevent them 'uncurling' as you apply the heat. This is a different thing though.

Every one I've tried without setting with heat have pulled out. Maybe it has to do with wood type? I don't know, I just know that's why I started setting them all.
Don

Offline RyanY

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2021, 05:52:02 pm »

Almost all of my recurves would spring back or pull out slightly after heating but I was also using what I think is a less effective method of steaming. Since using a heat gun to set them they’ve worked significantly better with zero spring back and only a bit of heat. I also have a new steaming setup that gets way hotter so I’ll have to see if I can skip the dry heat after.

Offline airkah

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2021, 06:10:43 pm »
I'm in the boil only camp, never had an issues with them pulling out, but then again I don't ever do the really sharp 90* hooks. I just boil and set until the wood cools and then wait a day to start working on the bow again.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2021, 06:42:39 pm »
If the wood is a couple rings thicker at the recurves than the thinest part of the working limb then it's unlikely they will pull out just from wet-heat bending
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2021, 07:29:19 pm »
I pretty much have followed the same guidelines and procedure as stixnstones. The results have been positive.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline scp

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2021, 07:51:34 pm »
Can someone tell me how much more a recurved tip would be stressed at full draw, compared to a straight tip?

Offline Will B

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2021, 08:37:03 pm »
TB3 is what I would recommend. It has always worked well for me on under-lays as well as tip overlays. Make sure you get a tight glue line. Good luck

Offline Oldvol

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2021, 08:29:39 am »
Thanks to all.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2021, 09:05:14 am »
Can someone tell me how much more a recurved tip would be stressed at full draw, compared to a straight tip?

Steaming or boiling wood weakens it a bit plus the limb is stressed more with recurves then there's the angle of the string focusing more stress on the recurve
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline scp

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2021, 10:12:22 am »

Steaming or boiling wood weakens it a bit plus the limb is stressed more with recurves then there's the angle of the string focusing more stress on the recurve

Thanks. That's the kind of answer I like, instead of a math or physics formula I have no way of following. But I would accept such formula if the provider has enough credentials. I still prefer to have the "ordinary language interpretation" of such a formula. And that should be comprehensible to average people. Thanks in advance.

It is intuitive for the limb to be more stressed by a recurved tip. However it is not that intuitive for me how the recurved tip itself is more stress than the straight tip. Am I having a senile moment?