Author Topic: Vsplice sequence  (Read 1145 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Vsplice sequence
« on: May 09, 2021, 04:59:39 pm »
Cutting a pair of v-splices this afternoon set me to wondering how others approach things,  do you cut the v-notch in the limbs then cut the handle to fit, or shape the handle and then cut the limbs? My splices this time are 1:3 but I usually use 1:4 for the splice angle ratio, is 1:3 too short/steep?

bownarra

Re: Vsplice sequence
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 02:09:44 am »
My handle/limb splices are normally 5 - 1.  I make the handle width at arrowpass 20mm and the splice 100mm long.
Cut the male first. Then measure your width at the widest point. If it was 20mm I would make the female 19mm wide. Get the fit perfect then there is no need to use clamps. Of course glue with collagen glue :)

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 08:58:42 am »
Any reason you don't want to use a Z splice which has a much larger glue surface area? I like Urac glues, bombproof.

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 09:39:49 am »
I did my first splices not too long ago.. I did the W then the Z.. I prefer the Z ...I use the uni bond 800... gut

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 12:51:08 pm »
No reasons that are any good, but, I don't have a band saw and I imagine the v is easier to cut by hand.  It might not be, I've never cut a z-splice.   I also like the way the v looks, it appeals to the traditionalist in me and improves the skills I need for the hornbow I hope to build someday.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 05:49:27 pm »
Zs are easy to do, draw your pattern on paper first and glue it to your bow with white Elmer's glue. They don't have to be perfectly cut, I usually have to adjust the ones I cut on a bandsaw a little to get  perfect fit.

I just noticed the limb on the bottom in the second picture is a recycled limb from a previous bow that had already been spliced. I was making a BBO with a glued on handle so the splice was trapped between the bamboo and the handle.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 05:53:20 pm by Eric Krewson »

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 01:54:09 am »
If you make the tips go to a point you will have small gaps on the ends of the male/base of female. If you want to make them perfect leave the tip of the male as wide as the saw kerf :)
Nothing wrong with a good v-splice :) More than strong enough when done right. I only use z splices for splicing two billets together in the handle.
Yes you are right a bandsaw does make things easier but they certainly can be cut with a handsaw. The thing to make sure of is that your cuts are on the same plane.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 03:30:33 pm »
A simple V splice with add on handle has worked well for me , but I use nothing but AD 40 for the glue up. A sharp hand saw, tiny rasp ,and some sand paper with patience will get you a nice fit.