Author Topic: Sinew glue accidental boil  (Read 1601 times)

Offline HanibalLecter(InnerSmile)

Sinew glue accidental boil
« on: May 06, 2021, 05:25:21 pm »
I was making some sinew glue earlier today and accidentally let it boil for maybe 5 minutes. It was 2 hours in to making the glue and the scraps were deep in a lot of water. As soon as I saw it I quickly took the pot off the heat source and let it cool for several minutes.

Do I need to throw this batch out, or is this not a big deal? It's three hours in to it and the liquid still sticks on my fingers when I tap them together repeatedly - the bond doesn't feel much different than usual (I typically never boil it).

Edit: forgot to mention that I added some extra sinew scraps to maybe compensate for the  potential  protein damage
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 05:40:31 pm by HanibalLecter(InnerSmile) »

Offline Fox

Re: Sinew glue accidental boil
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 10:44:26 pm »
It should be fine... there are people that make glue by just boiling sinew/hide for a little while instead of keeping under 170 for a long time
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 03:14:05 am »
Do not boil your glue no matter what anybody else does......If you can't put your fingers in and hold them there for at least a few seconds it is too hot. 65 degs celcius is my upper treshold. I even used to make glue overcandles to eliminate overheating :)
The best test is to remove some and see if it gels on cooling. Put it in the fridge to speed things up.
you can use second rate glue for wood to wood bonds. Wood is highly porous so is in little danger of ever coming apart (if glued correctly...).

Offline HanibalLecter(InnerSmile)

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 10:37:22 pm »
Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate the responses. I had planned to use this for sizing so that's a relief. The glue seems to be O.K... Still wish I hadn't done that, though.

I have another, unrelated question. It may seem noobish, but nobody has ever asked it before, to the best of my searching abilities:

Is it possibile, or advisable, to use glue immediately?

Imagine: I add my ball of sinew fibers to a pot, heat it for 6 hours, then take out the gelatinous mass of sinew fibers, and immediately start sizing my bows with the watery glue?

I'm trying to imagine glue from a nomadic bowyers perspective, 1000-5000 years ago, in a place and time when things we take for granted (strainers, dry air, trays, fabric, peace, idleness, etc) weren't as cheap as they are now. It seems like way less hassle to use glue expediently rather than to dry it and store it for... When exactly? 

I really wanted to start sizing my bows last night as soon as I pulled that bundle of fibers out of the pot. I really had no need to strain, dry and store the glue for later... right?

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 11:08:25 pm »
Hey, If the glue doesn't work, just add a little liver, and some fava beans. Goes well with some chianti.  ;)

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 02:45:34 am »
You could size with it but you don't know what percentage your glue is....the fail safe method for sizing is to keep applying until the surface is glossy.

Offline Fox

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 01:22:30 pm »
Do not boil your glue no matter what anybody else does......If you can't put your fingers in and hold them there for at least a few seconds it is too hot. 65 degs celcius is my upper treshold. I even used to make glue overcandles to eliminate overheating :)
The best test is to remove some and see if it gels on cooling. Put it in the fridge to speed things up.
you can use second rate glue for wood to wood bonds. Wood is highly porous so is in little danger of ever coming apart (if glued correctly...).

bownarra, isn't the glue jelling the important part? so long as it jells it will dry into glue correct? is there something else that plays a more important role?

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 02:08:57 am »
Yes the collogen degrades at temps over 65 - 70 dges celcius.
That's not to say it won't still be sticky if you go over those temperatures but if you do, the ultimate strength of your glue is lowered. Most people don't strain their glues to the limit though so....however I'm mainly interested in hornbows and you definately get close to the limits with them - so glue quality matters a great deal.

Offline Fox

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 12:44:25 pm »
Yes the collogen degrades at temps over 65 - 70 dges celcius.
That's not to say it won't still be sticky if you go over those temperatures but if you do, the ultimate strength of your glue is lowered. Most people don't strain their glues to the limit though so....however I'm mainly interested in hornbows and you definately get close to the limits with them - so glue quality matters a great deal.

:OK

That's kinda what I was thinkin.... as I got it from TBB and remembered that pretty much what they said. most scenarios subpar glue is fine.... horn bows not so much.... sinewed bows... eh maybe get better glue :)

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 02:06:50 pm »
What is it going to be used for? It should be fine for most glue jobs. If your just sinew backing wood your glue does not need to be top quality. I prefer 2nd rate glue for this as it is less likely to cause cracks in the wood when seasoning.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 02:50:28 pm »
Hey, If the glue doesn't work, just add a little liver, and some fava beans. Goes well with some chianti.  ;)

Don't try to test him...
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour