Author Topic: Hazel bow about to break - reparation advice  (Read 2948 times)

Offline freke

Hazel bow about to break - reparation advice
« on: April 26, 2021, 09:28:50 am »

Hi,
Started a tread a month ago, asking for tilering help. The bow turned out pretty good fast straight shooter, only issue I actually had with it was the noise, never built a bow that was this noisy, had to put on silencer.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,69859.0.html

After about 200-300 arrows divided on a couple of days shooting I heard a cracking noise.
I put some tension to the limb and quickly wipe black stain over the back, this is the result after I scratch of the finish.
Seems the bow itself survived, lost some of its original reflex but still about 1"-1,5" reflex - think it has potential to be repaired.

Any suggestions about best repair this kind of splinter on Hazel?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Hazel bow about to break - reparation advice
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 09:40:12 am »
It looks like a ring grain run out on the back of your bow or a splinter.My best shot at it would be to glue hair flax clean accross the bow in that area tapering out above splinter a good 2".Then wrap it with sinew to be sure.
I've fixed pin knot splinter before just with flax with no wrapping but putting rawhide on limbs then.
Bow looks tillered well.It might help to relieve stress on that area with above and below scrapes of area before flaxing and wrapping and then adjusting other limb too.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 09:49:32 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline freke

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 11:24:06 am »
I looks like splinter but  the grain is not perfectly parallel to bow and likely part of the issue to - easily noticed when I hatched the sides of the stave and bow is shorter and narrower than intended du to it, much part of the fun.

Didn't thought of flax, how thick layer of flax is enough do you think? Do you sugest hide glue or white glue?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 08:55:49 pm »
Honestly not much thickness is needed.1/32" dried and sanded smooth.Tapered well above and below splinter.Both glues you sugggested will work.The fine flax hair needs to be laid in straight length wise.It can be hard to work with.Wants to stick to everything including fingers.
I can't guarantee it'll work for ya,but worth a shot.
Going down a little in draw weight will help.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 09:01:00 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 11:20:17 am »
So when you lay out your bow, draw a line right down the venter of the stave following those tip to tip  grain lines and then measure you width from both sides of that line. in So if you want a 1.5 in. width measure 0.75 in. in either side of that line.  freke, this is advice for your next one. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline freke

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 02:44:05 pm »
So when you lay out your bow, draw a line right down the venter of the stave following those tip to tip  grain lines and then measure you width from both sides of that line. in So if you want a 1.5 in. width measure 0.75 in. in either side of that line.  freke, this is advice for your next one. Jawge

Thanks, very good advice.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 06:47:49 pm »
I agree ....Good point Jawge.
BowEd
Ed

Offline freke

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 08:14:26 am »
Hi,
Followed advice, locally flax backed and secured with sinew.
I took some material off above and bellow to undress some, I have not tiler the bow after reparation and it likely need some correction, post a picture to share current curve if anyone want to comment?

I used hide glue for both flax and sinews - messy, especially the flax, toke a chance and used similar method as for raw hide and first apply glue and then melt on the flax with a warm spoon instead of put the fiber in the glue first.
It give away some cracking sound once I pull the string think it should be okay but scary, once tiller is okay I intend to cover the glue up with birch bark.
Thx
Jonas

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 08:34:29 am »
Good solution to putting on flax hair.Tiller looks pretty good Jonas.Nice job and you did what you could.Good luck.I would pull it to full draw on the tillering tree a bunch after any corrections for safetys' sake and before applying birch bark..Good pictures.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 08:49:04 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 09:54:28 am »
Here's the link to my fix.It's had many many arrows shot through it at 3D courses along with a couple of deer hunting seasons under its' belt since the fix.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,58761.0.html
BowEd
Ed

Offline freke

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 12:18:29 pm »
Thanks BowEd/Del - two nice reparations . 
/Jonas

Edit, test it on the tiller and it worked great, then shoot it it made some loud crack noise and I am sure it is the hide glue but my nerves are shaky...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 01:44:09 pm by freke »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 02:06:29 pm »
The thicker the repair the more it has a tendency to make a cracking noise.Your probably right.It was the hide glue.
Single wrapping of sinew should be good enough.Does'nt hurt to add a bit more though.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 03:33:35 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

bownarra

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2021, 02:51:06 am »
If you used glue thatwas too thick it can make odd little ticking noises....
But one big tick isn't good there is a fair chance that was your glue bond going south....

bownarra

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2021, 02:53:08 am »
Basically it shouldn't be making any noises! I'd take it off and redo it. Use 5 - 10% glue for sizing and 25 - 30% for the actual glue-up.
Also it looks like your bow is bending too little mid to outer limb. What width taper do you have on this bow?