Author Topic: What do you consider the fastest design of ipe and bamboo combination?  (Read 2675 times)

Offline maitus

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
Bamboo backed Ipe
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
If Badger would read this I'm sure he could tell ya.He's been in those waters with that combo a bunch.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline maitus

Bamboo backed Ipe
Of course bamboo backed Ipe, but what design :)?

Offline maitus

If Badger would read this I'm sure he could tell ya.He's been in those waters with that combo a bunch.
I hope he will read :).

Offline RyanY

Fastest currently or in general? I could be wrong but I think bamboo backed ipe bows have claimed flight records in multiple categories with different designs. Probably depends more on how well built it is than specific design. R/D, holmegaard/mollegabet, and ELB styles of bamboo backed ipe bows can all shoot extremely well.

Offline willie

I am curious if many think the success of this combo is an indication of the importance to consider the amount of work done by the backing of the bow?

Offline PatM

So? :)

A static recurve, just like every other wood or combo of wood-like materials.

Of course you have to splice to make this happen in the above scenario.

bownarra

Recurve, a proper one :)
Ipe quality varies quite a bit. It is being quick grown now to supply the decking market, big difference between the quick grown and an old tree.
Kerf your recurves to get them to bend, make sure the 'left behind slices' are no more than a 1/16th thick. Hopefully the grain doesn't have any wiggles at the curves. Soak them in water for a day or two to help them bend to the form. It won't do much for ipe but will help a little. I would also boil them underwater and do a bending session without glue first. Use something like walnut for the filler lam.

Offline maitus

So? :)

A static recurve, just like every other wood or combo of wood-like materials
People claim that Ipe is not easy to bend to make recurves? I have made one boo backed Ipe ELB, but I wasn't very happy with it.

Offline PatM

Re: What do you consider the fastest design of ipe and bamboo combination?
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2021, 08:29:43 am »
That's why I recommend splicing them in from an easily bent wood, just as they are done for a horn bow.

Offline maitus

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2021, 04:15:20 pm »
It worth a try :).

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2021, 04:28:50 pm »
Ipe is hard to bend so I don't like to get too fancy with it. I like the boo backed ipe in a mild r/d design. Maybe glue it up with 3" reflex. Even with that I would still recommend kerfing the outer 10" or so. If I go for too much reflex I end up getting too much bend toward the center of the limb which I never like. 

bownarra

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 05:34:26 am »
Yes spliced in tips are likely the best way.

Offline maitus

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 04:32:47 pm »
What kind of wood would You use for spliced recurves to make them as light as possible and strong enough? I remind you that I live in Europe :D.
Thank you for the previous answers.