Author Topic: Newbie needs help tillering a bow  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Walski

Newbie needs help tillering a bow
« on: April 23, 2021, 01:14:08 pm »
I am new to bow building, and this bow is a vine maple 68" NTN.   I am having a hard time tilling this bow, can you tell me where I need to remove wood, and if any, thanks.

Offline sleek

Re: Newbie needs help tillering a bow
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 04:18:13 pm »
Ummm damn. I know experienced guys who would struggle with that. I'd say you are doing a great job so far. Remember that the limb that is deflex will need to bend further than the other limb to keep the stresses balanced between the two limbs, which it appears you are doing. I have no real advice to offer, cause I think you are doing fine!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline rps3

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 06:37:00 pm »
I love it, and agree with sleek. Good luck.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 09:46:39 pm »
Staves like that are difficult to judge. Definitely look at it from both sides while tillering. It does look to me like there are two areas by each limb tip that are bending too much without any corresponding deflex or humps. I find that using my fingers and the growth ring pattern on the belly to be very helpful on these bows, if the thickness taper is gradual and even then it’s a pretty safe bet that it’ll bend the way it should. Watch out for low or high spots.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 04:41:05 am »
It's been a while since I've done a bow like that.I like these bows too.With that one like you've been doing you'll have to squint your eyes observing the tiller at full draw seeing the overall bend taking in account the characterish undulations it has.A very character laden bow.The extra length you gave it helps.To me it looks pretty darn good.A real gem and accomplishment.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 04:54:52 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 04:11:36 pm »
  This may help, I flipped and enlarged the pictures...Hope that's ok Walski

I would say a few scrapes dead center on right limb, that may unload that right outter a little... JMO looking from here...Nice job on the deflexed area!

Don

« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 04:31:25 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 09:45:32 pm »
That certainly is a tough one to tiller.
Looks like the near handle wood need to bend a little.
Enjoy the experience.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 05:14:42 am »
The deflexed area needs some wood removing but its a tricky thing to get right. Watch those outer limbs, no wood removal here for now. Try to get it moving a bit more inner to mid limb which will help with the outers.
What weight are you pulling in your picture? Your intended draw weight?
If you are new to bow making and still getting your tillering eye dialled in....get some straight wood!!! It makes things easier :) Character bows look cool and are fun it their own way but they do carry more limb weight so will never be the best performers. Still worth making a few for the challenge...horse for courses

Offline Walski

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 11:53:57 am »
Thank you all for responding, I've learned so much from this site.  I will remove a little bit of wood from the right limb and near the handle, as suggested.
bownarra, I am trying to get 50# at 29" for this bow, and ran out of straight wood is why I am stuck using character wood.

bownarra

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 02:41:21 am »
I uderstand! You go for it, for sure it will teach you something :)

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 05:13:59 pm »
That is one cool looking bow! Will look awesome with a snakeskin backing! My only tillering advice is that if in any doubt have a break and come back to it later before removing any wood! Otherwise looks like you are on the right track...

Offline druid

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 03:35:38 am »
So good so far. Seems some hinge is forming close to the tip on left. But this is brave project. I like it. 😍 If you need more help- give more close up pics?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 01:22:05 pm »
Definitely, a character bow!  Listen to the other folks and proceed carefully! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

bownarra

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2021, 02:43:32 am »
If you are at your drawlength I'd leave it alone :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2021, 07:10:00 am »
You're very close.Good pictures and good diagnisis.You've got about a 1/8" positive tiller on your left limb.Meaning your string is 1/8" farther from belly of bow limb on your left limb.If that's your top limb that's fine.I do see a little stiff area on that left limb at about midway.It shows very slightly the set taken at rest on the left limb.Could be some character in that area too.Overall set looks good though.Nothing too drastic.Right limb looks fine.
Osage is some tough stuff.A couple of pounds under is'nt too bad.Nice work.Like Mike said though could be good enough and to just leave alone.How does it shoot?
I usually don't leave bow hooked at full draw on tillereing stick for long periods of time.You probably don't either and just wanted a good picture took.I use the pulley system on a tillering tree to check pulling and releasing.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 07:14:33 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed