Author Topic: Slight cracks in belly during dry heat/recurve  (Read 1086 times)

Offline stephenthebowyer

Slight cracks in belly during dry heat/recurve
« on: April 07, 2021, 10:54:25 am »
Hi Guys, I'm a long time lurker/first time poster. Like most first time posters, I need some advice!

I'm working on my third board bow, practicing whilst the staves in my garage dry out. The bow has been working well, having shot roughly 100 arrows - it's a 45lb draw at 28in and I would guess shooting at 140fps. The bow is English Ash and a basic flatbow design, albeit slightly narrower limbs at 2".

Last night I added recurves using a heat gun on medium. It took 30-40 mins and a little pressure to get the limbs to curve. As I did this I heard a slight cracking noise and can now see some very small splits in the belly (see pics).

My question is: can this be rectified or is the bow compromised? Is there anything you could recommend to repair these? 

And one more request - I'm very passionate about my new hobby but know 0.1% of what I would like to. I'm sure I've made a bunch of other mistakes in this bow. Please help me learn by pointing out anything other mistakes you notice (and please forgive the state of my garage!)

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: Slight cracks in belly during dry heat/recurve
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 11:03:04 am »
I think an underlay is the most common way to fix that kind of issue, but I don't have any personal experience.

gutpile

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 11:10:44 am »
they must be small I can't even see them.. if longitudinal your ok.. probably just a drying check where you forced moisture out while heating.. they may not go deep either but if it really bothers you you can fill with superglue ..or while its flat ad an underlay ... is it going to be a static ...?..good grain on board.. very nice.. gut

Offline Fox

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 11:48:29 am »
They are not longitudinal it doesn’t look like ....can you carve the cracks out? Or will that not leave enough wood? Steaming or boiling is what I usually do for recurves 15 minutes per 1/4” of wood.... just boil some water put your bow tip over the pot and cover both with tin foil.... but that won’t help that bow much.... if you can carve it out that’s what I’ve done...
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline stephenthebowyer

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 12:06:15 pm »
OK phew, thanks for your advice. I was bracing myself to be told it's kindling now...!

The cracks are longitudinal and very minor - they should sand out. I will do that now and re-wax/string in a week or so. I will also post some pics when it's finished.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 12:23:59 pm »
I think an underlay is the most common way to fix that kind of issue, but I don't have any personal experience.
+1
A thin slat can be per bent over a form.
The cracked area can be rasped down slightly to blend it in, flatten it and prepare it for the glue.
Glue on the thin slat, blend it in... good to go.
Here's one I did earlier.
https://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/2013/05/radical-recurve.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 12:28:35 pm »
That defiantly looks to be broken grain, not just a split.  It will give you trouble if not dealt with, but it should be fixable.

Offline scp

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 12:40:22 pm »
All depends on where the crack is. If it is in the non-bending part, not a major issue, just a dab of superglue and sanding will be enough. It was not hot enough to be flexible, when it was bent. If it is a working recurve and bends there, even ever so slightly, it would be safer to add an underlay thick enough to make it stiff and narrow the tips.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 12:52:35 pm »
Fill with thin super glue, flatten that area(and on the other recurve for symmetry) and add a thin overlay(underlay). I've done this a few times with good results. One thing I did learn from my mistakes is to use steam for recurves. It's a lot safer than dry heat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 02:06:07 pm »
man my eyes must be gone.. I put a magnifying glass to pic and I still can't see them... lol... well old age ain't for sissies... and I ain't even that old... gut

gutpile

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 03:36:11 pm »
I think I can see it .. runs longitudinal then hooks lil left.. is that right.. ?