Author Topic: Storing staves in the house?  (Read 1005 times)

Offline KyStickbow

Storing staves in the house?
« on: April 05, 2021, 05:22:56 pm »
Is it ok to store your Osage in the house? Just wanna make sure this isn’t gonna harm the wood or have any negative effects to it. Will it still dry ok? I aquired some really nice wood and don’t really have the ideal place to store it outside. But we have a huge closet that doesn’t get used...so after splitting I just put it in there.

I’m new to this game...so just curious?

Thanks

gutpile

Re: Storing staves in the house?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 05:44:53 pm »
probably best place ... is it roughed out ?.. even better... gut

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 05:57:30 pm »
In the house is usually good because the temperature and humidity are usually pretty stable and if you're in a humid climate it's usually drier in the house thanks to the AC. It's also protected from bugs that might burrow in the bark, etc. So as long as your spouse is cool with it I'd say go for it. I had a pile of staves laying on my side of the bed for a couple years when we lived in an apartment. I can't believe I got away with that for as long as I did, but I was eventually encouraged to find a different storage place.  ;D

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 06:18:58 pm »
I would work diligently to remove bark and sapwood, get it to one ring for the back, make it 2" wide end to end, and then remove most of the belly wood. I bring mine to about 3/4" thick everywhere except the handle and dip area. They are much, much safer that way.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 10:42:00 pm »
As said above, AND MAKE SURE they are sealed back and ends to avoid checking.