Author Topic: Hickory Backed Ipe w/pics  (Read 10085 times)

Offline Apex Predator

Re: Hickory Backed Ipe w/pics
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 02:43:10 pm »
Great job!  I wish I could tiller one out as pretty.
"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 07:05:30 pm »
That is a nice bow. A little more leather work on the handle wrap and it will be a SUPER nice bow.  Good job

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 08:58:58 pm »
be lookin like a meat getter to me. ;)
lets just shoot it

Offline lotojarich

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 10:07:12 pm »
Thanks for all the nice words! It was reading this site for the last 5 months that has given me the help that I needed. I may take up Justin's pointer and pike it a bit to bring up the weight some (might be nice to have it a tad shorter for the hunt too). But like Radius said it is nice to be able to say it is done! I glued these together as boards and that was my big mistake. Should have tillered out the Ipe first so that I could at least put in a little "Perry" reflex. That is what I'm going to change on my next one. Thanks again for all the great info here, everyone is so hospitable, even to the new guy! ... Rich
Archery... Just the word seems to invoke awe in the minds and hearts of men.
Nearly every recorded culture has used the bow and arrow to civilize, feed,
protect, and entertain.  ....Douglas Spotted Eagle

Rich ... Salt Lake City, UT

Offline snedeker

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 11:10:12 pm »
Terrific second bow.  \

\
Dave

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 12:54:12 am »
Rich, did you get your Ipe from MacBeath?  I need to stop in there tomarrow.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline lotojarich

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 11:26:54 am »
Justin, I got the Ipe bow cores from bowstick. I found out about macbeath too late. I did get a nice hickory board from National Wood Products about 2 months ago. I still haven't checked out Macbeath.  Rich

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 12:21:19 pm »
I stop in to MacBeath every time I come up from St. George. If you go out to the exotic woods shed you can find all kinds of cool stuff. Purple heart, Yellow Heart, Ipe, Bubinga, Cocobolo, Jatoba, you name it they have it. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

dogface

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 01:12:01 pm »
Jealousy is an ugly thing. Right now I am very ugly. How do you get Ipe and did you scrape, sand, rasp or saw your bow or was it all three ?

Offline lotojarich

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 01:30:16 pm »
Dogface, like I said before Bowstick archery sells Ipe bow cores, and they are nice and straight. I used all hand tools. Ipe is pretty hard and scrapes better for me than rasps. I use sureform rasps, draw knife (actually a small machete), and scrapers (mostly scrapers). I would like to get a power saw, but it might just get me in trouble. Going slow keeps me from making mistakes.

Justin, will MacBeath cut the wood up for you. National wont so I have to borrow power tools from family to mill it. It would be nice if they would have milled them into 1x2's and 1/8 x2's for me.

Rich

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2008, 01:42:42 am »
Good bow, nice tiller, I like it.
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2008, 02:54:35 am »
I was checking out Bowsticks straight ipe/boo blanks, and 55.00$ is a lot considering you are gluing two straight boards together which cost about 5 bucks max..With no floor tillering before glue-up...20 is plenty for this...

Seeing as how I started this "trend" years ago, I know thats a bit of a rip..especially with all the folks response to the fine customer service on the other parts of this forum (of course I'm joking).

Dogface, if you are interested go to Richardsbowyery.com and I will set you up with a blank that will make your friends jealous for the same price, and it will be floor tillered...

I don't do these for profit, I just can't stand seeing stuff like this...BS...

Rich

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2008, 01:52:00 am »
Rich, I don't know about having them cut it up. I imagine they will, but I'm sure there will be a price. 

You are a good man Rich Saffold.
Justin

SW Utah

Rich Saffold

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2008, 03:53:21 am »
Thanks Justin, as you know from your experience with Ipe bows is it shouldn't cost a bundle just to get started.  Threads like this are great because there's lot of folks who can't get other good woods without paying a lot sight unseen which I would never do unless I knew the source, and Ipe is filling this void to the dismay of some who think that their wood is the only good wood in the universe...

Many newbies get ripped off purchasing wood, and I also see guys who get great wood from those with integrety. Marc St. Louis has a lot of his wood/staves in the Southland and its all great stuff.

No beginner should be out 55 bucks when starting to make bows, especially since "things" can happen :o...Rich (Lotojarich)turned his hard earned coin into a shooter. I bet his next one costs a lot less. ;)

Rich Saffold

Offline Jesse

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2008, 01:05:52 pm »
Great job on that one.
I got my ipe from Rich and plan on getting more ;)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark