Author Topic: central oregon bowyers gathering  (Read 21132 times)

Offline juniper junkie

central oregon bowyers gathering
« on: May 08, 2008, 12:35:59 am »
Hey all! Keenan and I decided to host a primitive bowyers gathering campout. it is in central oregon just north of the town of Sisters at a place called Squaw Flats. this area has a mixture of pines and juniper, with a large grassing meadow for long distance shooting. all are asked to bring some targets to set up a course with, we are encouraging primitive camping, but all are welcome. we will be doing bow building, flintknapping, and arrow making, and whatever else comes about. this is a dry camp whith no facilities other than port-a-potties. maps and flyers are available from either Keenan or myself. would be fun to make this a annual event. ps...if any of you are offended by snoring, then  camp away from Keenan :P

Offline juniper junkie

Re: central oregon bowyers gathering
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 01:20:22 am »
cant believe I forgot the dates. it is may 16-18.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 12:15:24 pm »
  This should be a good gathering.We been fairlyy busy getting some stuff ready to work. Sounds like there will be a fair amount of people coming.Gordon and some of His group are coming over as well as some from other parts of the valley.
  About the snoring  ??? ??? I'm bringing a bow of ear plugs for all of those within ear shott of JJ, ;) I also have several throwing objects so when he gets to loud we can sgoot in the dark at the noise >:D >:D
  Also JJ forgot to say Bring what tools you have for working the bows. we will have a limited supply for those just starting.  Keenan

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 01:53:23 pm »
JJ does primitive camping mean no RVs or should we all start on our own teepees. ;D Can you guys post driving directions. Thanks Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 01:57:55 pm »
Can we cut Juniper up there without a permit? Joel

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 03:13:41 pm »
Man sounds great. wish I could fly out that way and come to this gathering. Yer in my old stomping grounds....

Just moved back SE to NC almost 3 yrs ago... man time flys...
But I came from Vancouver wa. Lived down salem OR way for a number of years as well.

Used to spend a lot of time up towards sisters. BEAUTIFUL country. I miss the High desert the most... dont miss the rain much tho.

Hope Y'all have a blast.

later.
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 11:28:51 pm »
the primitive camping is only a suggestion, any means of camping is fine, we can email you a map, just send one of us a PM. as far as cutting juniper, I will contact the forest circus and ask them. they do massive clearing of it so it shouldnt be a problem, but we are talking govt. here. the roads are good enough to drive a motorhome or pull a travel trailer and there is plenty of camping room. bring some extra wool socks in case Keenans snoring gets out of hand ;D

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 03:09:29 am »
My wife was wondering if other women will be there. She was worried about being the only one. Joel

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 12:20:07 pm »
 My wife has to work Friday and Saturday but might come up on Sunday if She dosen't get called in to much saturday night. Not sure if Dave's wife is going and there are a few women in our tradiion group that shoot but haven't heard so I'll try to get more info for you.   

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 04:04:40 pm »
Wish I could be there guys! But just being back from the Classic and all my buisness partner would have a fit. Have fun and let me know how it all turns out!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 02:33:07 am »
As of right now Im having car insurence problems. So unless by some miracle I get my rebate check on Thursday in stead of Friday I can no longer make The Gathering.  :'( Maybe next year. Hopefully I can make the Pope and Young Shoot In Brownsville in July. Joel

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 12:39:19 pm »
Juniper Junkie and Keenan who is taking the pics and is anyone going to do a write up and submit to the the magazine???  Chop chop!
sounds like a great time.  Please post pics!
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 12:59:43 pm »
Got you covered Marie ;) ;) Not sure how this will all play out because it's our first run at this, but it sounds like there should be quite a few people. The weather has turned for the good  ;D ;D Our first little heat wave is hitting on Friday to start things off and it's supposed to be in the low 90s through the weekend. :) Yea !! However after such a long winter we will all probably look like cooked lobsters by Sunday.
  Dave and I are heading out there tomarrow to set up. This should be intresting with no power for heat guns, band saws, or sanders. :)  All (old way) methods, We can heat bend over the fire and lots of shaping and reducing with hatchets knife and maybe even some stone tool work for our inspirational leader (Jamie)
   I'll get as many pics as possible for ya, ;)    Keenan

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 01:40:17 pm »
So you are saying that tis is the first annual Primitive Primitive Stick Bend not far from Bend?
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 02:34:17 am »
Yes Marie, First of hopefully an annual event :)   "Primitive Bow Bend"  I like it ;D  Thanks we might adopt the name ;D   Keenan