Author Topic: Not sure what to do with this bow...  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Fox

Not sure what to do with this bow...
« on: March 15, 2021, 10:33:04 pm »
so this hickory bow I've been working on is causing me lots of problems. for one its pushing it for me on design, but I had no choice on the length. Its 58" and 1 3/4" wide, going for hunting weight @26"... was going to make it a r/d and I figured id probably sinew it. but it has a big sideways curve on one limb and some really annoying natural reflex in the same spot. so I made a caul heated both limbs for an hour, they came out uneven and I couldn't take out much of the sideways bend, and somehow scorched the back a bit ... ugh.... never messed up heat treat like that before  :fp :fp my cauls never work...

not sure what to do now... it only took maybe 1/2 of reflex  and uneven between both limbs, the sting is on the handle even with the side wiggle... I haven't put it on the long string yet...

Untitled by Livvydog, on Flickr
Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

(stave before ruffed out)

Untitled by Livvydog, on Flickr
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: Not sure what to do with this bow...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 10:47:54 pm »
That scotching shouldn't be too bad, just scrape it down a bit and keep an eye on it.  If worst comes to worst pick up another stave until you feel ready to work on it again. 

Offline scp

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 03:02:25 am »
The stave looks quite good enough for me. Just let its front profile be as it is and also let the handle bend as well. What matters is how evenly it bends. If the string lies within the stave, it definitely is a bow. Good luck.

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 03:19:06 am »
You won't know where the string really lies until you brace it.
Remove that chunk of handle wood and make it abendy handled bow.
58", 26" draw, stiff handle....no! You could do a semi working handle as well.
The slight scorch doesn't matter.

Offline Fox

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 01:04:48 pm »
alright, bownarra..... 'll chop the handle off your right :P so a semi-working handle you'd think would be enough? scp you think i should just leave profile as is? my worry is stacking.... just mostly flat like this, do you think stack will be a problem?

Offline TimBo

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 03:35:25 pm »
Take a look at Brad Smith's bow on the Quanah Parker thread (near the end...the turkey bow!).  I would leave some of the material on the grip for now and work it down to that sort of shape - a little narrower grip, but working - you don't want to lop off all of that wood at once!

Offline Fox

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 04:10:42 pm »
Okay, Timbo, I think I will... that's a sweet looking bow he's got there :)

Offline TimBo

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 04:22:24 pm »
For the lateral bend, I would try steaming it - hickory seems to like that a lot.  This is a photo originally posted by Bushboy (I think) - his setup works well for me, and I hate those lateral bends!

Offline Fox

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2021, 05:35:06 pm »
Hmm alright...  see what your talking about.... I’m worried if I heat that spot again it will mess up the reflex that I got even ish.... would just pushing the the handle over with steam so that the string goes right threw the middle work ? Or will that lateral bend in the limb screw things up ?

Offline TimBo

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 05:48:24 pm »
Well, as bownarra said, you may not need to worry about it; when you string it, things may line up fine.  The handle would be a good spot to bend, but probably not when it's that wide.  Reducing the handle more on the side away from the dogleg (i.e. taking more off the RH side in your first photo) could be another option.  Keep the handle wide until you have it at low brace, and your next move should be (more) clear.  Good luck!

Offline Fox

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 05:54:00 pm »
Okidoki thanks for the help Timbo   :OK

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 04:03:58 pm »
I’d be inclined to use side nocks to center the string on that one...if you need any adjustments. 

bownarra

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 04:14:30 pm »
Also remember that the string doesn't need to be centered. In some respects its actually a good thing for it not to be centered. If it sits off to one side a little make that side the side you put your arrow on. The bow won't be anywhere near as sensitive on arrow spine then.
Eg. leave the handle wide and maybe keep it symetrical (handle layout) so you can make use of the above once braced.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 03:42:53 am »
I agree with all the comments- however, if you are old enough, a stiff libation may be in order!   Otherwise, you just have to work through it and tough it out! >:D :BB (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2021, 10:30:43 am »
Leave handles full width and nocks a good inch so you cam make adjust menus to track the string.

Should it become necessary to move some wood try the handle area.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!