Author Topic: Eastern Woodland Scalloped Hickory  (Read 3705 times)

Offline M2A

Re: Eastern Woodland Scalloped Hickory
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2021, 06:22:37 am »
Cool Pictures Don! I have a lot of respect for the work I have seen from you over the years, true primitive equipment in my book. Just look at that quiver and bow case! Awesome stuff! Its a lot of fun for me to work on those scalloped bows and happy to get it to you cause I know its in the right hands. That small saddle in the handle sure makes it feel good in the hand. Have the same thing going on with the one I'm finishing up now. Hope you can get out there this fall and hope it hunts well for you.

Mr. Barns, I have tried to look into the purpose with my limited research abilities. Couple theories but it's more speculation than anything. Doubt anyone will ever know for certain. "looks cool" is the perfect answer as far as I can figure.

Thanks guys, Mike     

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2021, 09:10:26 am »
   The scallops have been discussed and asked about many times here and I have my own thoughts...Like Mike said no one really knows, but my guess would be decoration, status or maybe ceremonial...I could see it being used as camouflage also hiding your eyes on the ground peeking through the hanging feathers...Clear eye contact with a Whitetail and we have a nervous situation, been there before more than once...NA really liked flamboyant creations full of color and show...I think it is the most romantic Woodland design...

Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2021, 09:11:23 am »
Beautiful bow, very nice work. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2021, 03:57:58 am »
love the look of this bow.
if I can find a stave which allows to do this scallops - I will definitely give it a try.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2021, 11:10:27 am »
Since the passing of HalfEye (Rich Rousseau), there have been far too few traditional scalloped bows being posted.

Thank you for not only a great bow, but for bringing to mind a good friend of ours gone too soon.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2021, 11:59:06 am »
What’s a scalloped bow? I’m very confused.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Fox

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2021, 01:39:07 pm »
Russel...  check out the picture posted for tbb... the things the feathers are tied to, the ridges that come off the side of the bow. They are scallops
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline TimBo

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2021, 01:39:43 pm »
"Scalloped" refers to the saw-tooth shapes on the edge.  Sort of like scalloped potatoes...

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2021, 12:32:26 am »
   burchett.donald~ thank you for the great picture and information...the feathers are a super cool addition.  How are they attached?  What do you think might have happened to the feathers when the bow was actually shot?  It seems like they would be subject to lots of abuse...?  They are definitely beautiful/artful bows.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline M2A

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2021, 12:59:26 am »
Hope what Fox and Timbo wrote made sense to ya Deerhunter. Variable styles of "scalloped" bows are documented From many woodland cultures.

I'd like to see what you can do B2W with that kinda design. Much easier with a very good save as you may expect. Hit me up if you have any questions. I'll help ya best I can.

I like that camo theory Don, I could see that. Of course I never been busted by a whitetail ::) lol

Thanks for all the kind words fellas!  Hope to spend some time working on arrows but I'll have to dig out another proper stave soon and have another go at this style soon.
Mike       

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2021, 11:24:42 pm »
Bob, Glad your interested...I would use sinew thread myself, seems to be the toughest stuff the almighty has created... The feathers would take abuse but think about how much a fletched arrow is abused and still looks likes new 500 shots later? I think the feathers would outlast the bow...Maybe it silenced the bow? I am leaning towards decoration but then again these were shooters!...I can see myself tying on Spanish moss and hiding in the brush, but that is from a hunter’s perspective..Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2021, 03:38:49 pm »
It appears the scallops are opposite the arrow pass, correct?  Looks cool, silencing, and camo are all  all good opinions
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2021, 09:52:03 pm »
That’s correct Jerry, at least the 2 that I have here and the one’s I have seen in pictures...I guess you could shoot off either side though...Don

Offline M2A

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2021, 11:39:14 pm »
I think the scallops could go on either side or both depending on cultural or individual preference. One I can think of has them on opposite sides for top an bottom limbs.  The bow in the picture above looks like it may have been shot from the scalloped side, looks like a brass tack(?) may be in place for an arrow pass. With the couple single sided scalloped bows I have made I Put them on the opposite side to limit any distraction and for better visibility to the target. Almost made up some dogbane cordage to hang feathers from this one :) Maybe the next one...got to have fun ;D