Author Topic: Bow length/draw length for Sugar Maple  (Read 931 times)

Offline redhillwoods

Bow length/draw length for Sugar Maple
« on: March 14, 2021, 12:06:42 pm »
Hi everyone. I'm finishing up a Sugar Maple mild 5 curve that began with about 3" of reflex and is now at 2" of reflex.  It's #51 @26 and l feel that l should stop there as the length is 60"ntn. Width is 1.75" parallel and tapers at the last 8" to 5/8 tips. I'd like to get it to 28" DL but I'm concerned about the bow being too short. So far it's kept it's form beautifully. I posted a question regarding this stave a few weeks ago about it's bug tracks and they were identified as harmless sawfly trails. Can someone give advice without seeing pictures? Is there a rule or thumb? I have alot of trouble posting pics and have to get my wife to do it and that doesn't always get a pleasant reaction.
Dave

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: Bow length/draw length for Sugar Maple
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 12:33:28 pm »
Usual rule of thumb, minimum bow length is double draw length plus 10 %, so 28 x2 plus 2.8, or 58.8 inches min length nock to nock. By that calculation you can get there but it'll be right at the max

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 02:08:45 pm »
maybe leave it strung a few hours each day,, and see if it holds profile,,
or shoot a couple more days and think about it,,
if you feel you want 28,, it will probably do it, but you will loose some reflex, so its a trade off at this  point,,,,but I would let the wood get used to drawing the 26 before I tried the 28,,

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 02:09:05 pm »
Still need more information given a 5 curve is a complex design and everyone tillers differently. No way of knowing without seeing pics. If it has already taken 1” of set, how much more are you willing to get for the extra draw length?