Author Topic: Quanah Parker with bow and arrow, osage bow pic added  (Read 6191 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Quanah Parker with bow and arrow, osage bow pic added
« on: March 12, 2021, 06:01:37 pm »
   I am posting this just to raise awareness of shorter bows, and I am just guessing about the meaning of the photo, but he was one of the most powerful Comanche Chiefs of all time,, so here is where I am guessing and could be totally wrong, but I am thinking he is not sitting there thinking his bow is too short, or doesnt store enough energy,, or is not accurate enough,or the string angle is too much,,, I have a feeling he could be holding any bow he wanted,  like I said I could be wrong in my thinking,,
   I think Laubin had a good point in his book with he said it takes more skill to shoot a shorter bow,, I agree,,
someone commented on a very nice shorter bow lately,,,, and why was it so short,, and then there was the discussion about power etc,, even though they may not store as much energy on a graph,, they can be powerful enough to kill a buffalo, and the accuracy depends alot on the shooter,,, as stated I like long and short bows,,and have hunted successfully with both, 25 years ago, I started experimenting with shorter bows after Jay Massey hinted a preference to them,, of couse I could hear Tim Baker stating they were not as accurate as longer bow,, but I wondered why the Native Bow seemed to be shorter,, there had to be something to that right,,
   so I made a 52 inch sinew backed bow bout 25 years ago,,,,back then I was a pretty good shot anyway, but that bow was accurate out to 30 yards,, well whats accurate, I could shoot 3 arrows in or around a pine cone most the timie at 30 yards, further than I would shoot at a deer, I did shoot a 70 inch bow to compete in 3d,, and couldnt shoot any better with that bow at 30 yards than the shorter bow, well ok, I was learning something,,
    I took it deer hunting ok,,4 shots and 4 deer later in one year, I started to understand more about the short bow, than I did just reading about it,, its effective,, and powerful,, no doubt there are bows that are more accurate or more powerful,,, or longer,, but in a given situation, probably not better or more effecient,, Im just saying that a bow does not have to be long to be accurate or powerful,, and if you shoot with no anchor thats ok too, all the deer I killed with that shorter bow,, I was shooting about 25 inces of draw no anchor,, the first two I shot all the way through and the arrows were lying in an x on the ground,,
     shooting through a chrono showed me that a power stroke of 24 or 25 inches, will shoot hard,, even when I read about Sioux arrows being 23 inches, I made some bows to see, and they would shoot 180 fps, with an arrow less than 10gpp,, but still hunting weight arrows,,
     Im just saying there is a good reason,, the guys using them to make a living, were using them,, or had a preference for some shorter bows,, of course there were longer bows too,, and bows in Jim Hamms book that were over 70# draw weight that he examined in museums,,
     I am definitely not saying shorter bows are better,,  just that they can be accurate and powerful,, in a specific application,, and not to be underestimated,,,when well designed,, or in the hands of a proficient archer,,

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 02:49:39 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline eastcreekarchery

Re: Quanah Parker with bow and arrow
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 07:37:24 pm »
Bradsmith, do you have any info about the bow in the pic or ones similar to it?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 07:41:19 pm »
Eastcreek, I dont, I am sure in Jim Hamms books there would be some similar bows,, it looks like a parallel  d bow to me,,Im guessing 48 inces,,or so,,

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 08:01:44 pm »
Turns out all bows are awesome. Who knew?! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 08:03:55 pm »
The primary reason the Comanches used short bows was because they shot them from horseback while chasing buffalo, or ridding through a pack of Texas Rangers trying to reload. Usually less than 10 yd. shots in both cases.
H

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 08:13:05 pm »
I agree, brad. Those bows are deadly. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 08:46:44 pm »
that sounds like a good reason to me,, :)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 10:35:51 pm »
I would make a short bow if I could do it without sinew and still have a full length draw. That's the one reason I'm afraid to try one. That short bow your talking about though he made without sinew and it held a great unbraced side profile. I think shorter bows are less cumbersome which I would prefer for hunting anyway.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 10:50:28 pm »
I'll probably get flack for saying this but just like everything else he is wearing/ holding in this photograph, that bow is ceremonial. It's a medicine bow.

Comanches were hunting buffalo with rifles, when they could find them, when this picture was taken.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 12:08:10 am »
I'll probably get flack for saying this but just like everything else he is wearing/ holding in this photograph, that bow is ceremonial. It's a medicine bow.

Comanches were hunting buffalo with rifles, when they could find them, when this picture was taken.

They probably weren't hunting anything when that picture was taken.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 12:41:51 am »
good point Pat,,  :)
Jack your insight is appreciated,,,it looks funtional to me,, but I really dont know,,if it was osage , it might be like 50 ish in draw weight, just guessing,,I appreciate you taking the time to post,,  :)
Allyn I think you would like a sinew bow, ,if you tried it,, ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 01:01:03 am by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 05:50:27 am »
Thanks Brad. In herman Lehmann book he talks a little about it.  Did they shoot Buffalo, yes. But they were opertunistic hunters as well often eating pole cat as well. He describes and says without exaggeration being able to shoot a hat out at 30 yards everytime. He did this as bets after he was reintroduced back to his family.
Halfwye was a big advocate for short bows. Remember speed doesn't kill, accuracy does! Yes it takes a certain speed for an arrow to kill an animal but it seems most are chasing speed. Trying to get as fast of a bow as they can. Natives just wanted something that wouldn't break and could kill. In my opinion that is.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 09:42:59 am »
What's the date. I didn't see one.
He doesn't look to happy though. Someone may have criticized his bow. :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2021, 10:13:46 am »
Eastcreek, I dont, I am sure in Jim Hamms books there would be some similar bows,, it looks like a parallel  d bow to me,,Im guessing 48 inces,,or so,,

You are being optimistic there.  That bow is not much more that 36"
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline RyanY

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2021, 11:02:59 am »
I would make a short bow if I could do it without sinew and still have a full length draw. That's the one reason I'm afraid to try one. That short bow your talking about though he made without sinew and it held a great unbraced side profile. I think shorter bows are less cumbersome which I would prefer for hunting anyway.

How short are you talkin? Definitely doable with good wood and design. Just won’t look like a narrow Stereotypical native bow.