Author Topic: Adding some color to a new piece of hickory  (Read 5457 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Adding some color to a new piece of hickory
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2021, 04:31:22 pm »
Very nice job!  There's going to be some copycats out there!  Me included!  Thanks for posting the dye making info!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2021, 06:18:58 pm »
Awesome stain job. I’ve also used bloodroot directly out of the root like it’s a marker. that’s a lot less work but the root has to be fresh. In this example I used crushed frozen bloodroot on the belly by just smearing the pulp on the bow.  https://youtu.be/z7aX9vilxwc

Offline M2A

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2021, 08:51:38 am »
Thanks Steve, Fox, George, Will.

Thanks Don, sure like how that pitch protects the paint on this project, also think it may work well for holding down nettle or dogbane the way I been doing things. Got to try and haft up that blade you sent so maybe use some there too.

Good Luck on your project Jerry. I usually test on a piece of scrap before I try anything new. Sometimes things fade or bleach out, or oxidize and turn brown. Another simple dye for you maybe soaking osage shavings in water. I have yet to give that a try and no examples come to mind on white wood but I'm sure its out there I just have not looked yet. 

Thanks Santana, good simple way to apply the bloodroot. As kids we use to do it that way to our hands and arms lol. Great video, I have not had any luck with flower peddles keeping their color. Seemed to bleach out when exposed to the sun. The quiver above was done that way but I keep it inside and use for storage because my test pieces bleached out. maybe sealed with shellac, like you did would be better. Regardless, good information!
Mike