Author Topic: Adding some color to a new piece of hickory  (Read 5455 times)

Offline Fox

Re: Adding some color to a new piece of hickory
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 09:47:54 pm »
Thanks M2A!! I was hoping you'd show your process! looks awesome, I can't. wait to try making some of these myself, when the walnuts and bloodroot comes back ;D
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline M2A

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2021, 10:33:44 pm »
Thanks Bownarra!
Great Fox. Happy you got something from this  :OK Bloodroot should be blooming here in about 2 weeks or maybe sooner. Any questions along the way feel free to ask. Other resources out there you could try as well that some of the folks here have done as well. Looking forward to what you can do. These material here give some of the best results from what I have tried, and I have tried some odd things. And a few I still want to test out.   

Got the bloodroot applied tonight. Pretty bright now and over time it will brown up some but will still keep some of the orange tint.
IMG_4105 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

I like how things look now but did promise a little paint in this project. I'll play around with that in the next day or 2. Just going to keep it simple. Always a good feeling when your finishing up a project that your happy with.
Mike 

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2021, 03:44:17 am »
Mike,
         Very interesting thread and thanks for taking the time to post this...Will keep checking in on this
                                                                                                                                                           Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Will B

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2021, 01:14:50 pm »
That looks really nice Mike!  Thanks for explaining your techniques and materials used. I will definitely try some of these on future hickory and other white wood bows. Great job!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2021, 02:11:28 pm »
Great thread!  Post a pic of your bloodroot flowers when they bloom.  Things are not yet ready to green up around here, some of the winter wheat has come up.  Most spring prep has not started.  We are under a winter weather watch today and tomorrow, the snow phase comes in today, rained yesterday and overnight!  Finally!  I will be looking for some walnut trees around the area!  Going to try the turmeric if I can sneak a bit out of the spice drawer! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline M2A

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2021, 12:08:53 am »
Glad you guys are enjoying this :)

Looking at a picture I took last year they bloomed the 1st week of April HD, so a bit later than I was thinking. I have yet to see any sign of them yet this year. Quiver in the picture was somewhat an experiment of some different materials but the Bloodroot was in full bloom then.
IMG_3503 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

Round here walnut trees I usually find walnut trees in creek bottoms. Not sure how far west it grows. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with the turmeric. Doubt it would take much so the wife may not even notice :)       

Offline M2A

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2021, 01:00:30 am »
Got a bit sidetracked this week with some family business but was able to make the tempera paint this morning. Not sold on this style of paint and may try some other methods in the future. Been my experience its better to thin it down with water and use several coats. That helps it stick to the wood better. But this method is simple to make but test it out 1st before you try on a bow you spent the last month making. And if you have worked with this material before and have some pointers I'm all ears.

So, got an egg, the ground rock and some apple charcoal.
IMG_4108 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

Now the rock and charcoal are not water soluble so the finer you grind it the better and more smooth the final paint will be. I seperate the yolk out, and add a bit of water to it then mix in some of the powder.
IMG_4109 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_4110 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
Ready to put on the bow at this point. And I try and keep it from an area that will wear much. 1st bow I tried this on I used near the upper string nock and I didnt like how fast it was getting banged up just string the bow but it was also a thinker mix I was making back then. Picture below is 3 thin coats. 
IMG_4111 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
So this is how it finished up.
IMG_4113 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_4114 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

And thats all there is to it. Hope this all gives some folks some ideas on what they can do with what they got. I think this project turned out pretty good overall.
IMG_4115 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
Going to give it a few days before I put the finish on. And then should be ready to go. This was all the easy work. I shot this bow a good many times before I started adding any of this color to it. Hope to get the important Pictures up in a week or so. Thanks for following along.
Mike               

Offline Fox

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2021, 04:17:29 pm »
Looks great!  :OK

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2021, 09:17:00 am »
  Nice stain and paint Mike...Can't wait to see this one bent man... (SH)
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline M2A

Got things finished up on this one. Got a package of goodies from Don Burchett about 2 weeks ago with some pine pitch/alcohol mix so wanted to try it on this piece so i did followed up with some bees wax. Was going to use a harder wax but wanted to keep this this build more to what I can get than what I can buy. I plan to shoot this all summer will keep an eye on this finish, What I can say so far is that its a great protectant coat over may paint work, will use over that paint again. I think it will do well from what I have seen so far. Many thanks Don!
Other than that used the hot iron to do some extras.

Bow turned out nice. Simple design, narrows in the handle some. 60"ntn, classic diamond(top) fishtail(lower) nocks. 53# at 27" lb above goal after a few 100 shots. handle width is 1.25", while max limb width ended up around 1 5/8". Some natural delfex in handle but maintains a bit of overall reflex after unstringing. This is some real nice hickory, look forward to using some more. A little twist in upper limb, tried to heat it out but some came back, but it dont hurt nothing. Did my best on tiller and it shoots well. See something wrong let me know. Been fun, hope this post gives some new ideas to folks. Thanks all,
Mike
IMG_4148 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_4135 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_4126 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_4122 (2) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_4123 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_4125 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_4124 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr           

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2021, 10:22:21 pm »
That turned out great Mike. Excellent work in every aspect.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Fox

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2021, 10:32:06 pm »
Looks awesome. nice.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2021, 10:06:44 am »
Love it! The tiller looks great. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Will B

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2021, 10:34:06 am »
Awesome hickory bow!  Beautiful bend. Thanks for posting it.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2021, 03:02:59 pm »
Wow Mike...Excellent bend on that one! Those nocks are extra special...Love the stain and paint...Hope that Pine shellac works out for you...Great looking bow and thanks for posting the info on your stains and paint... )P(.                                                                                            Don