Author Topic: Favorite thing to do with a bow/stave?  (Read 4133 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Favorite thing to do with a bow/stave?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2021, 02:42:30 am »
I'm with  JW and Whistling Badger!  Have to make a few more bows, but a "BOOM", would not make me happy :BB (R
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 07:42:59 am »
I'm with Eric & WhistingBadger... it's got to be shooting that first arrow, although, I pretty much enjoy the whole process. Very rewarding.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline rps3

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2021, 08:14:29 am »
I think Eric said it well, I too am in awe at the first shot, but also grateful. And as JW mentioned,  chasing a ring is now bery satisfying too.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2021, 04:42:53 pm »
Design, Chasing a growth ring,layout , Band saw to remove most of the mass, floor tiller, long string tiller, brace and tiller are what I like most.  From rough out to heat bench is where my bows live as far as I’m concerned.Finish and strings and arrows I like the least. I hate painting or anything close to it.  Arvin
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 04:46:53 pm by Selfbowman »
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline HH~

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2021, 05:47:57 pm »
Sinking a cedar shaft off the bow that once was a stave into a mature whitetail. Then; getting on good spore to the beast piled up a short distance away on a cool Oct/November morning. Taking a good bite out that warm liver for the strength of the beast to run strong in yer veins.

Hunt like a Hedge~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2021, 06:06:21 pm »
Sinking a cedar shaft off the bow that once was a stave into a mature whitetail. Then; getting on good spore to the beast piled up a short distance away on a cool Oct/November morning. Taking a good bite out that warm liver for the strength of the beast to run strong in yer veins.

Hunt like a Hedge~

Yup that’s right up there to HH
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hamish

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2021, 07:01:30 pm »
Raw liver(cooked liver for that matter) ew!   :D Each to their own. No I'm not a vegan I hate Brussels sprouts with a passion.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2021, 07:06:03 pm »

Hunt like a Hedge~

Yup that’s right up there to HH
Bjrogg
Minus the warm liver part
In the woods I find my peace

Offline HH~

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2021, 07:52:38 pm »
Part of my Native and Ungar bloodline i reckon. Japs eat raw beef, i eat raw fish, my forefathers would frown on me if i did follow the lineage of the bow stave and give thanks to the warrior hunter even if we cant take war trophys for the lodge pole.

HH~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2021, 08:50:59 pm »
I think I could eat raw heart just not raw liver
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2021, 08:35:08 am »
Pretty much all of it except the finish work, I have several I shoot and still putting of the finish work part. :) As for the raw liver part I will save that for Sister as a treat , I don't eat any thing not cooked,[meat/fish] guess that came from my forefathers. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2021, 08:46:38 am »
Been eating raw fish and meat since a small child. Raw perch fillet on the ice. Love raw ahi with sesaeme oil and majik maridade very Ono.

Like to look at staves all stacked up with those harvest dates on them. They all scream build me, shoot me, fill yer ice box with me and most of all rub oil on and love me.

HH~

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2021, 02:20:41 pm »
Hamish,
You might try Brussels Sprouts sautéed in butter with sea salt, garlic powder, and thyme leaves -C-!  Just boiled, they suck!  My wife hated them until I fixed them sautéed. 

To each his/her own on the raw meat or fish, a lot of it is cultural background.  Honoring the game is proper, always!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Hamish

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2021, 07:56:12 pm »
Hey Hawkie, are you tryin to kill me? ;D There isn't enough butter, sea salt, garlic powder, and thyme leaves in the world to disguise the foul taste of sprouts. Okay maybe there is, but there would need to be a lot. (lol)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2021, 01:37:08 am »
Sort of like me and sauerkraut or dill pickles, corned beef and cabbage is right down there, too, I reckon!  We do seem to use a lot of garlic and butter, though >:D (lol) -C-!
Hawkdancer
Jerry