Author Topic: Favorite thing to do with a bow/stave?  (Read 4134 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Favorite thing to do with a bow/stave?
« on: March 02, 2021, 04:32:41 pm »
I was just wondering, whats your favorite part of making a bow? What are the things that you guys enjoy doing while making a bow?

My favorite thing to do when i make a bow are the cosmetics honestly. I love making the bow but sometimes i can put too much stress on myself so I really enjoy making it look good... Especially because i start appreciating what i just accomplished and i start thinking "I did pretty good... but how can i improve it even more..."  Plus... good tip overlays just look sweeeet!  8) 8) ;D My second favorite part is heating in reflex.... hackberry smells so good when heated!  ;) ;D (lol)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 04:43:55 pm by Deerhunter21 »
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Favorite thing to do with a bow/stave?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 06:51:49 pm »
My least favorite thing in bow building is removing sapwood from a well seasoned osage bow. Everything else are my favorite things.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 06:58:08 pm »
Most favorite... probably tillering, though its a love/hate thing, especially if its  a snakey stave.  I also love the smell of freshly worked osage.
Least favorite is trying to sand a bow to a perfect surface before applying a finish. Its mainly cosmetic, many people don't bother and I can understand why. It doesn't make a bow shoot any better, its very time consuming, but it sure looks nice. Despite my reservations I always seem to put the work in to make sure the finishing is flawless.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 07:01:33 pm »
I think I change my answer every time because the whole process is so fun. I like marking out the bow and getting it cut out and trimmed up and seeing how close I can get the bend at floor tiller stage. It’s a great feeling when you brace it from floor tiller and it’s spot on.

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 08:32:30 pm »
Least favorite - mass reduction on big, well-seasoned staves.

Favorite - when you just nail the initial thickness taper, it looks balanced as soon as you string it and it takes little work to get to full draw!
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline SGuise

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 09:16:40 pm »
My favorite thing to do is to use the ugliest, twisted piece of wood and try to make it into a bow.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 09:34:28 pm »
I really like stave hunting. Particularly sapling staves. The woods look different when you are looking for a bow in every tree lol.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 09:55:54 pm »
SGuise, just how crazy do you like your wood? because I have some HHB you may love >:D

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 10:20:40 pm »
HHB makes good French rolling pins for the ladies if you have a lathe... if you're looking for something to do with staves you don't want to mess with. Quick. Easy. I make a paste with beeswax and food grade mineral oil to rub into them. Made another one tonight.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 10:23:50 pm »
This piece is too narrow for that, and I don't have a lathe.  It would make the most impressive ELB if anyone dares try it >:D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 11:36:24 pm »
The two things I once hated most is what I love most now: chasing a ring and forming handles.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 08:26:46 am »
Most favorite. Handing the finished product to someone who has never shot one before and watching the smile form on their face as they draw the string and let the arrow loose.

Least favorite is like Pat said. Removing sapwood. I enjoy everything in between though.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 08:46:12 am »
The two things I once hated most is what I love most now: chasing a ring and forming handles.
Oh yeah I hate making handles, mainly because I don't have one that I prefer yet so I always wonder if I should shape it different. My favorite thing so far shaping the tips and cutting in nocks, makes the bow look sleek and ready for use
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 08:52:05 am »
I looked forward to that first shot out of a bow, I am always at awe at what a simple split out of a log can turn into.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 11:13:41 am »
Well, so far, my favorite part is seeing the arrow zip out of it for the first time.  And having it not explode.   ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour