Author Topic: hog hunting Florida  (Read 14403 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

hog hunting Florida
« on: May 07, 2008, 06:28:51 pm »
i Live here in FL. i have been hunting all my life but have no access to private land to hunt hogs on. does anyone know where i can bowhunt hogs in FL but not have to be babysat by a guide who doesnt understand primitive archery? managment areas are way outa the question, too many crazies.
   i like spot and stalk or stand hunting, i just dont want someone who follows me around and tells me what and when to shoot.  any ideas?- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Titan_Bow

Re: hog hunting Florida
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 06:44:16 pm »
Dont know specifics in Florida, but you might want to check the various National Wildlife Refuges in your state.  Alot of times they offer archery only opportunities.  Also contact the Nature Conservancy.  Alot of folks think that its an anti-hunting organization, but they offer limited hunting, and usually archery only, on alot of their properties.   Heres a link to the National Wildlife Refuges in your state:  http://www.fws.gov/refuges/profiles/ByState.cfm?state=FL    Look for WMAs that might offer archery only hunting.  Another thing I'd do is try and find locations in the WMAs where others are not likely to go. (ie. too far in, or only accessable by water) 
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 07:08:44 pm »
                       I bet if you PM'd either  Mullet or Coo-wah-chobee....they may have a good Idea where to go
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

bow kid44

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 07:31:33 pm »
try babcock ranch
its in southern florida in near lee county

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 10:29:05 pm »
  There is a small Mngt area near Zephyrhills, called Upper Hillsborough. No crazies there. Muzzleloading and archery only through a draw system. Nobody puts in for it either.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 11:13:59 pm »
                                               Told Ya Eddie would know somewhere!!!!!!!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 12:21:15 am »
thanks guys. i appriciate the help. every time i find a place, it coincides with deer season. i would really like to find some place that i can hunt over the summer. i guess i am limited to asking land owners....but we all know how that goes nowadays.    no one will trust anyone anymore.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 02:19:20 am »
Twisted, The worst they can do is say no. Take your bow and arrows with you, share it with them and let them know what your intentions are. You might just be surprised. If they are having damage done by hogs you might be just what they are looking for. Never know til you ask.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 02:38:03 am »
Hawgs are very destructive. Landowners fer the most part WANT them gone especially cattle ranchers. Cattle ranches, orange grove owners, mitigation bank owners among others all have suffered $ losses due ta hawgs. This is NOT covered by their insurance. Fer example down south here there is a mitigation bank landowner that suffered a $7,ooo loss overnite ta new seedling trees and orchard trees. Now that would make him REAL interested in somebody ta hunt the Hawgs and harvest them . Do as Pat said ya might be surprised ! Do some research and try ta find a landowner that does not have a electric fence around his property and has paid lease hunt ranches around him and he does not. Guess where the hawgs go at the first gunshot ! ;D Whoo-wee hunt hawgs in summer down here ! :o Good Luck......bob

kdub

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 08:46:11 am »
Everybodys hunting hogs this time of year! Good luck!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 12:14:35 am »
not everyone.

im still waiting on turkey hunting here.

next friday bow season starts, finally. man i am pumped for it too. got everything ready to go,except for a selfbow so i will be using my wheel bow this year yet.
hopefully by deer bow season i'll have a selfbow ready to hunt with.

hog season,well maybe next year.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 12:22:09 am »
I have a question for those who hunt the wild hogs, how well does an arrow penetrate through the hog's armor at the shoulder, I plan on hunting them someday too and would like to know from those who have done it.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 12:24:53 am »
yeah good question, i was maybe gonna huntem in florida this summer... ;D ;D but i dont think its gonna happen
Modern Day Tramp

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 12:25:50 am »
i've never hunted them as of yet,but i did read under another thread on here about just that with a cool pic too.problem is i read all the threads and dont remember what the topic was lol

it was " HAWGS"
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline huntertrapper

Modern Day Tramp