Author Topic: Tiller opinions on my bow  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Tiller opinions on my bow
« on: February 18, 2021, 10:24:44 am »
Ok I have my second ever bow out to 50@28" it's 72" ttt with parallel limbs 3/4 length. I'll show progressive unbraced pics to show where it was taking set and see what you guys think, I'm just asking for advice for the next one and what could have helped with this one. With the full draw on the tree I have the hook where the arrow would be so the bow is tipping on the tree a little bit.

In the woods I find my peace

gutpile

Re: Tiller opinions on my bow
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 11:07:34 am »
you can reduce those tips some..but I would flip them first if mine.. almost looks like a molly bow profile they are so thick.. the right limb needs to bend more out of fade to second hump.. stay off first hump and definitely stay off second hump its trying to hinge for sure.. so scrape that ,a lil wood removal can mean a lot at this stage.. 4 or 5 scrape and check it by exercising it with at least 20 pulls.. before anything else..its a pain to keep checking with lil removal but this is where a 50lb bow can end up 35 real quick.. it also needs some wood removal from second hump to where you got tips stiff.. that is what I am seeing.. see what others think too... if me I would definitely flip those tips...left limb is tilling itself ... gut

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 01:03:26 pm »
Thanks gut, I want to keep it a simple straight bow so I won't flip the tips but I'll work on those other areas. The tips are getting thinned a lot I left them thick for now because I'm working around some drying checks.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 01:49:24 pm »
Looks like the hump on thE right side has a very slight hinge. Remove mid limb on left side slightly. That hump could be fooling me though. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Fox

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 02:02:21 pm »
Yeah what gut said  ;D

Looks like on the right limb where the hump is hinging a little is also where it took most of the set on that limb, which is a good indicator of where’s more stressed... :)
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 02:59:45 pm »
that one limb is tricky, I hesitate to advise,, with a photo, how does it shoot,,,,

Offline TimBo

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 03:55:05 pm »
That RH limb is very, very hard to judge with photos on the internet.  It doesn't look like it is taking set there to me, assuming the limbs were both straight at they are in the first photo.  (If you hold up a pencil to the photo, they both seem pretty straight to me...which doesn't mean there isn't a slight hinge there, but as Brad says, it's tricky.)  I would have to go by thickness taper in that spot.  It looks like you have done an admirable job so far!

Offline Kidder

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 04:04:06 pm »
First off great job on a tricky stave! My eyes see a flat spot on the left limb with a slight hinge on either side starting just in from where the tips get really thick and then flat moving inwards for about 6 inches or so. That’s just what I’m seeing. Keep up the great work!

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 05:22:29 pm »
Ok I took about 40 scrapes off the inner right to get the tips more even from draw point. Weighs about 49@28 which is belly of handle so that's 29.25 at the back. I thinned the tips and got my nocks set. Brad I shot a arrow for my compound but I couldn't tell ya if it was good lol. I added a braced photo and new full draw

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 06:38:50 pm »
just measure from back of bow,,  to mark on arrow for draw,, so its about 49@ 29,,
you need a good arrow so you can tell if the bow is shooting, like if you need to adjust positive tiller or take more off the handle on arrow side to get good arrow flight, so you can kill a deer,,

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 07:56:24 pm »
Yeah it's 29" but it'll show 28 on my tiller tree. I want to be able to make all my bows the same draw length regardless of handle depth. I'm ordering arrows for it so we shall see how it shoots then. I'm super stoked to take it for a spin  (-S (SH) ;D

Offline Kidder

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 10:37:47 pm »
I'm ordering arrows for it so we shall see how it shoots then. I'm super stoked to take it for a spin  (-S (SH) ;D
You should be - it’s awesome! Great work.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2021, 07:50:08 am »
Thank you kidder : )

gutpile

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2021, 08:42:58 am »
Looks lots better , i would take some off from second hump to tip .. not much just needs lil more bend .. to tackle a tricky stave is a challenge for even experienced bowyers . You brother are doing that wood justice .. I’d still would’ve flip those tips hahaha.. gut

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2021, 09:11:15 am »
I would flip it around and look at the other side, the humps can fool you very easy, sometimes it looks way different when flipped.
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good