Author Topic: Started another bow  (Read 855 times)

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
Started another bow
« on: February 15, 2021, 01:17:29 pm »
been working on another osage stave, it had a lot of that rot in the limbs and by the time I got it out, this was no longer going to be a flatbow. Right now, at the fades it is 1 1/16" wide. what I am calling rot is sort of like dry rot. it ran from one tip into the fade of one limb and nearly so in the other limb. Still working on getting it to floor tiller. was 4 degrees this morning and lots of snow so the last several days have been piddling on it in the house for what I can get away with with moments out in the ice cold garage. living in the mountains of extreme west central Ark, very much snow shuts everything down. managed to break the screen on my laptop, using a small TV for the screen right now. This stave was 60" long, I am shooting for about 42# at 26". how narrow is still considered a flatbow? Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Started another bow
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 01:25:48 pm »
Jerry, instead of trying to pigeon hole the stave you have, just make a bow. Whether it is a flat bow or whatever really doesn't matter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Tradslinger

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 02:30:43 pm »
actually Pat, I had my figure wrong, it is 1 3/8" at the fades, that other number was at mid limb. oh I am making it no matter what. I am hoping for a more constant thickness thru the limb length. still too thick for a floor tiller, about 9/16" thick.

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 02:50:49 pm »
That's plenty wide enough. At 60" long I'd get it working right into the fades. Shallow fades as well. Might be worth recurving it a little to help string angle.

gutpile

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 04:12:47 pm »
im building a 54 inch osage bow only 1 inch wide at fade.. as of today its about 48 @ 24.5..going to 26 should be around 50 to 52... 3 inch handle 1 inch fades..gut

Offline Tradslinger

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 04:58:19 pm »
im building a 54 inch osage bow only 1 inch wide at fade.. as of today its about 48 @ 24.5..going to 26 should be around 50 to 52... 3 inch handle 1 inch fades..gut
Sweet, a shorter bow has it's place in a real ground blind where there is not much elbow room. thanks for the info, Jerry

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 05:11:32 pm »
Like Pat said.... thats one of the beauties about osage, it will make a bow, doesnt have to be a certain design.
DevilsBeachSelfbows