Author Topic: Most Durable osage Bow?  (Read 6226 times)

Wasichu

Most Durable osage Bow?
« on: May 07, 2008, 07:37:12 am »
Fellow PA'ers, I wish to pick your brains on this subject:

Let's say you had the chance to hunt  in the cold weather in Alaska,and the hot weather in Africa,AND you were only allowed to take 1 osage bow.

How would You build this bow?     How wide would the limbs be?   How Long of a bow would it be?   Would you back it?    Would it bend in the handle or not?

I realize these are a lot of questions,but I am seeking your inputs on the bow that would be most dependable/durable for years of hunting/3D shootability.

Peace

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Most Durable osage Bow?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 08:19:47 am »
Depending on you draw length,I would for me build one about 66 n-n 1 1/2 wide to mid. limb
and tapper to 3/8 or so at the tips.I don't usually back a bow but for what you are talking about
I would probable back it with deer rawhide.stiff handle rapped with cain or string rap to keep from
soaking up moisture.Then seal it really good with 10 coats or so of Tru oil and wax the limbs after everything was dry.I would also make sure it was a quality piece of wood with good growth rings
to start with.That should shoot for a life time is taken care of. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline shamus

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 09:25:56 am »
American style flatbow. 66-68" long, depending. 1.5" wide at the flare outs, tapering from there in straight lines to under .5" at the nock.  A nice gradual width taper makes tillering a little easier and yields a nice, fast bow.

no backing.

industrial velcro strike plate.

No grip, or a rattan grip as a weatherproof option.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 11:28:11 am »
Like Pappy, except....  Knowing that most of the blinds in Africa are not designed tall enough to shoot a long bow I would cut it down to 62" for my 29 1/2" draw.  ;)  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 11:40:59 am »
Like Pappy's but maybe without the rawhide backing. With a good clean back ring, there would be less to go wrong. Osage doesn't seem to be effected by temps but with any moisture the rawhide backing might be effected.  Like Justin, maybe 62" to 64" for my 26" draw.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 11:52:09 am »
A bow 62" to 64" long is good for a 28" draw.  Having a bit more interest in performance than many I would opt for an R/D bow with limbs 1 3/8" wide for up to a 60# pull and 1 1/2" wide for bows up to 80#.  A hard backing of Hickory would improve the bow but is not absolutely necessary
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 12:26:30 pm »
What Pat said. I didn't catch the rawhide back.  I have the bow I would use.  62 1/2" tempered back, tips turned up, inspired by Marc's "High Performance Selfbow" article.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 12:40:13 pm »
I think I already have it. 62" hickory backed osage, bend through the handle, 70# @ 28". No riser to pop off, no tip overlays... all business. 1 1/4" to 3/8" nocks. The back is stained a dark brown, Strunk style grip. Multiple coats of matte poly, with wax on top. I can send a pic, if anyone is interested.

Wasichu

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 05:38:57 pm »
adb3112:  would greatly appreicate a pic or two ;D

Thank you folks for all your input,,just trying to find the 1 osage bow to use for years to come. Probably will never see Alaska nor Africa,but still want a durable bow.

Peace

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 05:43:58 pm »
I always try to have at least one back up bow(and an extra pre stretched string for each bow) that shoots similar to my primary bow. You just never know! :o   If the unthinkable does happen its nice to have that back up ready to shoot instead trying to rush another at the last minute. ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 07:29:15 pm »
I would make a take down useing the bow sockett so I could travell between the two continets with ease and two sets of limbs one backed the other not so I would be prepared for any situation 50 to 60 pounds
                    Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 12:14:22 am »
62-64 in long tapering to 3/8 in nocks.  1.25- 1.5 in wide depending on the wood quality. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 11:36:35 am »
all of the above would be a very dependable bow in all environments.  the only thing i would change is taking the nocks down to 5/16" wide to lighten up the tips for speed and reduce handshock.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

sweetpea

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 11:43:50 am »
  I agree with Meclesher except I'd sinew back it and seal it real good.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 11:46:56 am »
Sinew backing is too vulnerable.IMO   A good self bow is quite durable and almost predictable. ;D     Pat