Author Topic: Poundage on Bow and Handle  (Read 2748 times)

Offline justlooking

Poundage on Bow and Handle
« on: February 04, 2021, 11:01:12 am »
I'm building a 55"Osage bow.  The handle is about 1 1/4" thick with an arrow shelf.  I have the bow narrowed down on the limbs to about 1/4"-3/8", and I can't get the poundage low enough that I like it (40 lbs).  Do I need to take the handle down narrower?  The handle is approximately 8" long including
fade.

Thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Poundage on Bow and Handle
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 11:10:27 am »
I assume you mean the limbs are 1/4" to 3/8" thick, not narrow. How wide are the limbs? When I find my limbs are getting too thin(thickness) I narrow(reduce width) then, a little at a time until I get near the desired weight then continue with the tillering.
Do you mean the handle is 1 1/4" thick or wide. I usually start with my handles at about 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" thick and as narrow at the arrow pass as 3/4" to 1" wide.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 11:17:54 am »
A cut shelf will limit how much you can fool with the handle area.

Offline bassman

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 11:30:09 am »
Leave the riser as is, and add limb extensions to the limbs.  An arrow shelf can create a weak spot in the riser. I have had them crack at the arrow shelf cut out in the past. You need some mass in that area. JMO

Offline HH~

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 03:46:53 pm »
If your cutting arrow shelf in on a 55lb bow tiller to 28" you will need to have about an inch of wood in riser opposite of the shelf. Ensure you fade isout well past the shelf area.

I have never had one crack or break in riser with a shelf, ever.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 04:15:00 pm »
Mine cracked, because I got carried away with the depth of the cut with just a few, pushing the envelope. I  have made well over 100, and more towards 200 hundred that didn't crack. Handles have to be the right thickness, and width, and in his case sounds like he needs to leave well enough alone, and thin the limbs ,or make them longer with add ons.

Offline justlooking

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 06:09:43 pm »
Thanks,  but how do you do a limb extension?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 06:45:07 pm »
Don't worry about limb extensions now. Just get your bow tillered out and go shoot it. Limb extensions is in the wood bow building 202 class
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 07:01:00 pm »
Limb extensions are not THAT advanced.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2021, 09:24:09 am »
You can loose a lot of poundage in the fades quickly. When I have a bow that is tillered well but a little over poundage I start scraping the fades, always going up, not down or you will dish out the limbs.

If your fades are blunt and not a smooth transition this won't work for you.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 09:49:59 am »
If I’m reading correctly you have 55” Osage and you are wanting a stiff handle with a arrow shelf and looking for 40 lbs. I don’t see what draw length you are looking for.

55” is a bit short for that design.

55” would probably be better suited for a bend in the handle. Or as Bassman suggested limb extensions.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2021, 12:09:37 pm »
Yeah, I think I blew by the 40lb part!

Yeah, it would have to be a mighty stiff very short handle if your working with 55" of wood even at 25" of draw. The back on 55" of wood at 28" of draw would be rough on it. Prolly get away with it with some type of elm but its gonna take some set. Like Brian said, bend in handle be better off and I concur.

Shawn~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2021, 04:39:42 pm »
You can drop your poundage down to zilch in your limbs with wood removal, the problem is the lower you go the more critical every tiny scrape is going to be.

I have found that well tillered kids bows are the most difficult to make, when the limbs get really thin, one extra scrape can hinge a limb.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021, 08:03:56 pm »
I agree Eric. I made a quite a few kids bows. Really nice ones. They teach you a ton about tillering.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2021, 09:13:35 am »
A good Kid selfbow is way toughter than making 60lb man selfbow without question.

Why I was tickled to see the cast of BOWNADO. Like I had said, "Pound for Pound its prolly the fastest bow I ever scraped out".

Long as you leave enough off side shelf wood you'll be fine.

Just finished a 54@27" almost center cut Hedge bow that's gonna make a really nice elk huntin bow. I think it has only .800" of offside shelf wood.

HH~