Author Topic: Frankenstein take down  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Manolovis

Frankenstein take down
« on: February 03, 2021, 04:46:04 pm »
Kia Ora All
Any ideas on how to proceed ? I m working on a take down project and just finished with thickness tapering and am at floor tillering/ low brace stage.
But here is the catch: the lower limb is from an old take down that broke at the end of the tillering process and the upper limb is a new one I just crafted ( to use up the most of a stave that I had). It s seems really hard Not to cause a lot of set to the older limb ( lower) while I am working the matching thickness taper  down on the new limb ( upper). There originally was a bit of set on that older limb (lower).  But it seems to increase everytime I put the bow on the tillering tree and try to get upper limb closer to what it should be. I deflexed the upper limb with dry heat and got it to a reasonable balance but the next time I put the bow on the tilleringtree the lower limb went a bit further . If feels I just chasing my tail here....
Any insight would be much appreciated
Cheers
Manu

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Frankenstein take down
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 05:10:57 pm »
Manu, you might have to get the new limb bending more before you match them together. Pics will help.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 05:20:15 pm »
yes pics, dont over think it,, just get them bending even,, and see how settles in,, it will work,

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 06:11:40 pm »
a question on my part, I will be trying to take two different short staves to make either a take down or a solid one piece. would he be better off trying to get the floor tiller better or closer to the other limb first before tillering? it sounds like the newer limb is way stiffer than the older one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 06:58:07 pm »
Jerry, floor tiller would be the initial step but like any bow both limbs must bend evenly and together or problems will occur, ie. hinges, frets and set.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 11:28:46 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Manolovis

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 08:48:28 pm »
thanks for your answers
well the newer is pretty close to bending evenly from the other one, but i think the fact that one limb is deflexed compared with one due to previous set deceive my eye. so now I basically don't know if I should deflex a bit more the new limb with dry heat or keep taking wood off? if i keep taking wood off will the deflex induced by set eventually match the deflex/set of the older limb?
i tried uploading some picture but they were too big. I ll attempt again later on today so you guys can see what i am talking about.
cheers

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 10:17:06 pm »
reflex of deflex, they need to pull the same distance,,

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 09:18:47 am »
Been there done that when I grabbed what I thought were matched billets to splice, they had the same ring structure and were dark with age, when I cleaned them up I realized just how mismatched the were. One was hard buttery osage one was red softer osage, I spliced them anyway.

I tillered them evenly but during shoot-in the red limb kept getting weak. First I heat treated the limbs giving the bottom limb a little more heat. I made adjustment to the top limb a little bit at the time to match the bottom, the bottom limb finally settled in.

Now the bow is stable and might be my best shooting bow.

Heat treating the limbs on a slightly reflexed form might be a good starting point for you to even things out.

These are my mismatched billets

Offline Manolovis

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 05:53:38 pm »
Thanks Eric! That gives hope  :)
I ll keep adjusting and hey treating little by little
I am really bad at computer things so still working out to reduce the picture size to post them

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 07:18:07 pm »
when I email from my phone it gives me the option to pick the size, I pick medium and it will load here,,I just email it to my computer and then load it on,,