Author Topic: Elm flatbow tillering advice  (Read 924 times)

Offline PatrickH

Elm flatbow tillering advice
« on: January 18, 2021, 04:10:24 pm »
I have been working with a 62in elm stiff handle flatbow, I have it pulling 51lbs@20in right now looking for 50ish@26in. The right limb (in the picture) has a knot right below the knock that makes the tip a bit wonky, the other is pretty straight. Here is a picture of it at 20in draw right now, im thinking the left limb has to flex more near the handle? any advice would be appreciated.
Muskegon Mi.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Elm flatbow tillering advice
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 04:35:24 pm »
Looks good to me. I wouldn't worry too much about that knot as it's so near the tip. You probably don't need to leave it that thick, (it looks to be in danger of producing a weak point to the left of the knot) maybe just leave a little extra width.
This video shows how little I allow for some weird knots/features (at about 2:53). Dunno if it helps...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dXec-d_vcI
Del
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 04:45:17 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 04:43:55 pm »
Just me or could the right limb bend more?  It may just be the way the bow is siting on the tree.

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 07:40:46 am »
Left limb is ok, right is bending too much near the handle to mid limb.
Check thickness and width tapers very closely now. Your knot area shouldn't be thicker than a 'normal' taper would leave it. The trick is leaving them wider, follow the grain as it 'flows' around the knot.