Author Topic: Different board weights  (Read 1119 times)

Offline AtomicWrangler

Different board weights
« on: January 03, 2021, 11:34:19 pm »
Good afternoon Y'all,

I ordered some boards online and it arrived today, a piece of jackfruit heartwood board its 10cm wide so i requested the seller to cut the board in half, wanna turn it into a long paddle-like bow but the problem is that when i unwrap it from the bubbblewrap one board is lighter and the other is heavier in weight, the plan was to splice the two boards in the handle area but now i don't know what to do.

Should i still splice the two boards or just use the heavier board to make a short bow instead?

Btw the boards dimension is 5cm x 2cm x 101cm
Thank you  :)

bownarra

Re: Different board weights
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 12:05:48 am »
I don't know about that wood or its properties.
I would suggest you contact one of the material suppliers on here, I'm sure somebody can give you some names?Echo Arhcery?, and buy some ipe and bamboo/hickory. Proven materials from someone who understands bows and the quality of wood needed will save you a whole load of heartaches.

Offline mutt

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 06:14:22 am »
leave them in a dry place for a while and monitor the weights with a scale, they may equal out after a time.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 06:44:05 am »
So from what little I know about jackfruit, it’s kinda soft, not really dense, kinda elastic, and pretty easy to work. I don’t think it’s absolutely useless but it might reach it’s limits sooner than you expect. A long PB’s a smart choice, keep it wide, keep it long, keep it from blowing up. Probably for the best to stick the the 30’s in terms of draw weight. And regarding weight, it’ll either even out with time or not, don’t think it really matters too much, a tree isn’t all too uniform to begin with. Best of luck to ya.

Offline Hilongbow

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 03:12:06 pm »
This doesn't answer your question but I have a jackfruit tree in my yard that had a dead branch about head high. For over a year, every time I mowed the lawn (which is year round here) I had to bend it out of my way. I would bend the thing over 90 degrees and it never took any set or snapped. I finally cut it off, but when a jackfruit tree started growing in my compost pile I planted it and have been pruning it to grow straight and knot free for about 7ft. I'm hoping to try to make a sapling bow out of it in a few years, it's already about 2 inches around. I'd be interested to hear your results. It's in the same family as Osage but much softer wood.

Offline AtomicWrangler

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 01:27:33 am »
This doesn't answer your question but I have a jackfruit tree in my yard that had a dead branch about head high. For over a year, every time I mowed the lawn (which is year round here) I had to bend it out of my way. I would bend the thing over 90 degrees and it never took any set or snapped. I finally cut it off, but when a jackfruit tree started growing in my compost pile I planted it and have been pruning it to grow straight and knot free for about 7ft. I'm hoping to try to make a sapling bow out of it in a few years, it's already about 2 inches around. I'd be interested to hear your results. It's in the same family as Osage but much softer wood.
That sounds interesting Hilongbow, it's quite exciting to try this wood out, i'll cross my fingers for now ;) and thanks Ryan i'll keep that in mind