Author Topic: Recurve challenge.  (Read 3802 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Recurve challenge.
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2020, 09:19:50 am »
Well done Brian!
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2020, 09:29:48 am »
Thanks Arvin.

Maybe I can get a chance to work on a really nice stave in the not so distant future. Be interesting to see what I can get from the one you gifted me.

I gotta admit though. I love the looks of these wiggly ones and they speak to me in a way I just can’t seem to ignore.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline RyanY

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2020, 09:47:33 am »
Nothing wrong with that! Great job!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2020, 10:49:45 am »
Thanks Ryan.

I’m not trying to toot my horn or promote another site. However I did do a lot more in debt build on LW titled “Bending Static Recurves 101” if anyone is interested.  This stave has a couple other interesting problems to. I think it’s going to be a dependable hunter though.

Bjrogg

Offline scp

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2020, 10:56:42 am »
Good job.

But the challenge in "The Ante" is for 190+ FPS from a highly reflexed recurve self-bow. It probably would take an exceptionally good and straight stave with high natural reflex. Good luck, anyway.

Offline HH~

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2020, 11:08:06 am »
Easy on a $99.00 Chrony. Do that with a no reflex self recurve.

But real test is PatG or aka Runner to try one rather talk about one. (SH)
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2020, 11:11:02 am »
Good job.

But the challenge in "The Ante" is for 190+ FPS from a highly reflexed recurve self-bow. It probably would take an exceptionally good and straight stave with high natural reflex. Good luck, anyway.

Yup I didn’t do this one for the ante challenge. I’m hoping to get at it soon with a stave that Arvin sent me. This one was for the challenge of the stave. It was to show some of the different tricks I use to bend static recurves and alignment of tips and handle.

I’m curious how far it would fling a arrow though.

Bjrogg

Offline bassman

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2020, 11:17:56 am »
I watched your build from the beginning on that one Brian. Very well done, and your step by step was very informative. Your stave was not ideal, but you whipped it in to shape nicely. Much easier to build one with a clean straight piece of wood. 2 thumbs up.

bownarra

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2020, 11:32:17 am »
Nice 'curve :)

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2020, 11:37:58 am »
BJ...as a retired farmer/ag. teacher, I am amazed at how fast you can make a bow.  I can't make one that fast even now that I'm retired.  :)  It looks great and it needs to put meat in the freezer.   :OK  Thanks!
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2020, 11:40:30 am »
I watched your build from the beginning on that one Brian. Very well done, and your step by step was very informative. Your stave was not ideal, but you whipped it in to shape nicely. Much easier to build one with a clean straight piece of wood. 2 thumbs up.

Thank You Bassman. I tried. It was quite time consuming posting and explaining everything. I wish I could edit on that site. I know I have a few typos.

Hopefully the thread will help someone. Maybe even direct them here for more information and help.

I really appreciate the help others have given me and just trying to pass some of it along.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2020, 11:44:34 am »
BJ...as a retired farmer/ag. teacher, I am amazed at how fast you can make a bow.  I can't make one that fast even now that I'm retired.  :)  It looks great and it needs to put meat in the freezer.   :OK  Thanks!

Thanks Bob. I gotta admit that the pressure of keeping the build moving forward was a pretty good motivator. I kinda even surprised myself.lol 

Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2020, 11:51:32 am »
Nice 'curve :)

Thanks bownarra.  I was really rutting for you on that  elm. Marc sure does seem to have those highly reflexed designs figured out. I would love to watch him tiller a bow.

Bjrogg

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2020, 11:52:54 am »
I followed your build-a-long start to finish also. I definitely learned that I have a lot more leeway on using dry heat than I have been using. I would have thought turning the belly black would have made that stave firewood. Thanks again for taking the time and photos.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2020, 11:59:08 am »
Nice job, Brian!  Build along will he helpful to all!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry