Author Topic: Backwoods University - Snowshoe Basics  (Read 1451 times)

Offline BrianS

Backwoods University - Snowshoe Basics
« on: December 26, 2020, 09:28:50 am »
A short very basic video I made about snowshoes. Part of the Backwoods University series of videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUXaB6GY7WE

Offline BrianS

Re: Backwoods University - Snowshoe Basics
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 10:25:25 am »
18 inches of fresh snow since Christmas morning. Should probably get another 6 inches or so before it ends. Typical Lake Effect snow. Not a record breaker but still decent amount in a short period of time.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 10:55:00 am »
Brian. got about 14 here and looks like a few more today depending on the wind direction, digging out  my  BearPaws , should be a nice flintlock season  starting today. 13 degrees but it is a dry cold :o. I think I will guard the wood stove today, Hey somebodys got to do it. Great video at the university today, Nice variety of shoes. Bob
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 11:09:28 am by Outbackbob48 »

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 11:45:03 am »
Nice video, very informative on the basics!  Snow seems to come and go quickly here!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BrianS

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 12:08:41 pm »
HawkDancer, Thank You very much.
Bob, You certainly know all about Lake Effect snow down where you are. That was just some of the snowshoes I have collected over the years. I have some interesting plastic molded ones from the 70s that Kevin gifted me along with a few more Traditional Wood framed Ones (including a very old handmade pair which the frames remind me of how the growth ring on a bow is followed). My go to ones are those military surplus ones. For the money you can't go wrong with them. Two Years ago I ran the course at the Hawkeye Snowshoe Shoot using a pair that I made out of some saplings I cut and fashioned into shoes. Tied them on with rope bindings. I did not have a very good course time but they held together for the entire course. Dino has made some cool bearpaws from evergreen branches in the past. Last winter I did a large snowshoe art drawing of a peace sign in a open field (often wondered what a pilot in a plane wondered when they flew over). Dino toped me big time and created a huge snowshoe art with his kids at his Bone Creek place. I will see if i can locate the picture.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 12:13:43 pm by BrianS »

Offline BrianS

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 12:21:26 pm »
Here is a picture of the homemade ones I ran the Hawkeye Snowshoe Shoot with.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 12:20:42 pm »
Here is a picture of the snowshoe art that Dino and his Kids made. i can't find the picture of the giant peace symbol that i made but you get the idea.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 11:57:56 pm »
Now the "make your snowshoes, then run the course" event would put everyone one on the same level!  I would volunteer to keep the base camp fire going and the coffee hot! -C- >:D (lol) (S)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BrianS

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 05:29:25 pm »
Here are the very old handmade ones i mentioned. Even though they are in excellent shape for their age, they are too valuable (at least to me) to use anymore. They are just wall hangers now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHtLQ1QzSSQ