Author Topic: The Ante  (Read 18611 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: The Ante
« Reply #150 on: January 04, 2021, 08:40:06 am »
Eric I was not sure if you where speaking in general of specificly at Shawn’s ability to win the IBO. Shawn has taken some of that money in the selfbow challenge I do believe. Same shooters as the IBO. One dropped bow arm and a miss and your done . And if your Arvin and you have two or three well you should not be there. That does not keep me from trying. I love to compete and the worst thing is you got to shoot with the worlds best and meet them . Yes Eric I will be interested to seeyou list of days gone by. They where good then and they are good now. There’s one thing that I have found true also shooters are shooters. It can be a sling shot , rifle, bow or pea shooter they usually are the best at it. I’m decent but not a champ at it. That’s one reason I’m in flight . I  CAN HIT THE EARTH EVERY TIME. The arrow just has to go a long ways. Arvin

PS. Shawn if you want to win that IBO shoot you AW bow. 😁😁😁😁
Sorry I could not help that one Shawn😁😂l
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #151 on: January 04, 2021, 08:44:26 am »
Didn't Dan Perry do really well with hickory bows some time back?  Of course the dessert is where hickory can really do it's best.

Yes hickory has done well there. Chuck has broke some records with hickory recently. Arvin

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #152 on: January 04, 2021, 09:04:32 am »
That was a nice bull elk Shawn!!! Scores did not count on that one!!! Arvin

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #153 on: January 04, 2021, 09:27:08 am »
I am a relic of the past, and no longer have that many bows out there, I did at one time. When I had to turn people down that wanted my bows they went elsewhere so my bows dropped off the radar.

People gravitate to what they see everyone else shooting, I did the same back when all the high profile folk were shooting Asbell Bighorn recurves, I had to have one.

I had to slow done on my bow making, osage dust allergies took the fun out of it, right now I can't make any, neck issues make it painful for me to shoot a bow. If you can't shoot them you can't make them.

I had a lot of my customers send me a notice about their wins but I didn't keep track of them.

Hands down Julia Norris has the most wins, that gal can shoot. She bought the first BBO I ever made and did well with it, I have given her bows ever since, she had won more often at Cloverdale than of any other people shooting my bows. Her and Danny are good friends so I have given her bows ever since the first one.

Here she is with a static I made her, she consistently wins with it.

My bows national champ wins started with a fellow named Bill Cooksey from Arkansas , that had to be close to 25 years ago,  there  have been over a dozen more but other than Julia's I didn't keep track of them. One year Julia shot a perfect score at Cloverdale with a bow I supplied, again it is more about the shooter than the bow.

State champs, 40 or 50, I didn't keep track of them, again Julia has been top dog, my late wife and I have a couple each.

I had my day in the sun as a bow maker but the sun has set.

Here are a couple of my guys at the first IBO, Tony and Nolan, second and third. Tony won an osage bow I donated to raise money for the Alabama Children's Hospital, he had $1 invested, he is a dedicated trad guy and shoots all the classes, my bow served him well. Nolan saw Tony's bow and had me make an exact copy for him.

I haven't sold a bow in years, I give them to special people who work their butts off to promote trad tournaments or donate them to charity auctions.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 09:38:22 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #154 on: January 04, 2021, 09:45:13 am »
A footnote on Julia's static, she called me in a panic and told me she cracked the tip and asked if I could fix it, send it on I said.

It wasn't just cracked but I was committed to get her shooting again.

I have posted this before;

From this;

To this, it took me whole week to perfectly bend the components to fit without a gap, lots of failures.

Offline bassman

« Reply #155 on: January 04, 2021, 10:13:43 am »
Nice fix, and well made bow. Julia has a unique way of standing to shoot the bow ,but if it works it works.

Offline redhillwoods

« Reply #156 on: January 04, 2021, 10:25:27 am »
That correction job is amazing.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #157 on: January 04, 2021, 11:24:00 am »
Thanks for sharing Eric. Yes I know Julia and she is very good. The others I haven’t had the pleasure to have met. Julia can be beat though. Can’t remember if she was as at Arkansas state shoot a few years back . But I think she was when Kris Johnston won with holy bow . A Osage selfbow that you can drop a half dollar thru mid limb. Those two have been battling for the last 2-3 years.  Eric I can tell from the fix that’s a beautiful bow. Was it a car door or maybe fast flight. Oh and yes Anti is looking real good Shawn . Great looking brace! Arvin
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 11:30:56 am by Selfbowman »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #158 on: January 04, 2021, 11:44:14 am »
She has good days and bad days shooting like the rest of us, she is tough to beat when she is on her game.

She said she did something stupid stringing the bow but didn't elaborate, something to do with a picnic table I think.

I put DF-97 on all my bows and have for about 20 years with no problems, I do put tip overlays on everything I make

Offline HH~

« Reply #159 on: January 04, 2021, 12:37:02 pm »
Yep, its what shooters want. Shoot upright, not compromising form or changing it from bow to bow. There is some great Spooky Dust Myth out there in the ether. "you cant have a shelf on a primitive or selfbow".

This Ante will shoot just like my long selfbows, my Brownings, Staghorns, Hoyts, Lee's, Drakes, Cravotta's, Fasco's, AW's, etc. Only change I will make will be in grip pressure. The great thing is a 50lb HedgeHunter will shoot 35-55 spine arrow with no issue but how much weight you want put up front. If i leave it heavy bottom limb you can shoot it 3 under if you wish. Can I shoot a trapziod fashioned or ELB riser where arrow has to pass around the riser? you bet.

When it comes to hunting from stands where deer are hunted a great bit and wise up to any movement at selfbow range you want yer arrow knocked and hanging. 2015-2020 I have literally filled a 40ft container of deer with these type of selfbows on ground and from stand. I can build em anyway I like and have but if it ain't broke why fix it? Proof is in the the freezer. I have deer in 8 freezers currently. Beef....It's not whats fer dinner.

Time has come for the show ponies to see a nice BOW of The Year with a shelf. Wont you agree?

Shawn~
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 12:52:23 pm by HH~ »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #160 on: January 04, 2021, 12:58:26 pm »
Hey Eric what s the weight on that static? I know those IBO shooters like them light. 35# is light as I like to go. To easy to have a 20#bow. But that’s me. Arvin

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #161 on: January 04, 2021, 01:13:56 pm »
That's an impressive number of deer Shawn.  Is there any limit on them in you area at all? I don't think you're allowed more than 2 or 3 in my area if you're lucky.

Offline HH~

« Reply #162 on: January 04, 2021, 01:34:11 pm »
3/day doe

2 bucks max

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #163 on: January 04, 2021, 01:36:51 pm »
3 does a day!?  When the food shortages start again I may come down there ;D.

Offline HH~

« Reply #164 on: January 04, 2021, 01:49:38 pm »
Hind Tit is a laser.

That hit i put on that last buck was an 11. Left a hecka blood trail. Pappy walked down it maybe 40yds that 6x5 was piled up in the sunny side of ridge.

Ate some steaks from him other day. Couple min on each side, brush of olive oil and pinch of sea salt. Still running on the inside. Melt in mouth.

Shawn~