Author Topic: The Ante  (Read 17801 times)

Offline HH~

Re: The Ante
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2020, 07:18:33 am »
That's a little caul Pappy and I built so it does not interfere with the limbs reflex (if you already have it in when recurving).

Yeah, gonna be fun putting a string on this the first time! All gud, I got ballistic goggles and my ACH made outta some space shuttle material so bullets bounce off it. It works I've tested it in the CZ.

Today is reduction in limb thickness. Get "The Ante" bending a bit.

The first thing I notice of Ante vs Marc's bow is:
Ante has more handle and more hook. From making a bunch of self-static recurves is it's not a the hook that give you speed its low limb mass, reflex and good wood.

You should jump in BJ put some shavings in the pot!

Shawn~
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 07:39:00 am by HH~ »
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2020, 08:15:08 am »
I’m tuned in Shawn and will be curious how much of all that remains as a selfbow! I’m learning though.keep it up.  Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Will B

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2020, 08:43:48 am »
Those recurves look great!  Can you tell me how thick the tips were when you put them on the caul?  Thanks

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2020, 09:19:34 am »
"From making a bunch of self-static recurves is it's not a the hook that give you speed its low limb mass, reflex and good wood. "

Totally agree, Shawn. You know what kind of bows I make. I'm too stingy with my time to do a project like this one. Great work.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline HH~

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2020, 09:33:20 am »
5/8ths inch or just shy. I did not measure just eyeballed it.

Pappy said "Scrape belly to a ring in those hook areas". I thought  "gee, thats a goo idea". With dry heat they will flake but it you go slow it'll work out on elm and osage just fine.

Yes, Jim I do know. You stay purty much covered up in projects. I hope your well during this (whatever some call it) times. Hope can all get together when it warms and we get some juice in our arms.

Had one little Tit right centered in one limb and wood is nail hard there. Going to have to go in there and get that to reflex a bit more. Either that or put put two Stewert cam kinks in The Ante. HH Super Cam? May Be.

Shawn~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2020, 10:11:06 am »
Don't recurves shoot fastest though? 

Offline HH~

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2020, 10:49:43 am »
Not by my eye. Never could tell a static shot faster than a flipped selfbow! Shot whitetails with both. Never saw either that were killed with each type any more dead than the other when i think on it.  :)

Arvin said his three go to rigs all shoot about same distance. I’m prolly not the guy to see 5fps making any difference anywhere un reality.
Shawn~

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2020, 11:00:12 am »
I understand that recurves have comparable performance to a longbow, but their clearest advantage is that they are shorter and more maneuverable, right?

Offline HH~

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2020, 11:11:48 am »
Never worried about how long a bow is unless i was in a closed blind or in thick jungle. I’m 72” tall , so i got to get in there. Hauling a 68” bow is no big thing. For me anyhow. My jungle pig bow is 56” and its recurved. So, yes that helps.

HH~

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2020, 12:10:16 pm »
I understand that recurves have comparable performance to a longbow, but their clearest advantage is that they are shorter and more maneuverable, right?

Exactly
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2020, 01:20:15 pm »
Shawn I plan on.

I been working on a build along on the Leather Wall site. That’s definitely ate up a lot of my time.

It’s a interesting stick. Had a lot of problems that needed fixes with lots of caricature. Got to show how to fix them.

The thread is titled “ Bending Static recurves 101. I started out just going to show how to bend but ended up do alignment, tillering and the works.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2020, 01:25:30 pm »
Well done Brian by the way. Thanks

I’m trying these recurves and such. But longbow is easier and 10-15 FPS in target and hunting is not monumental. The 10-15 FPS matters in flight though. Arvin
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 01:30:43 pm by Selfbowman »

Offline HH~

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2020, 01:35:28 pm »
Yeah, Leather monkees. Me and Phildo dont see things in same way. The two America’s thing. Instead giving every warrior a say its easier to just cancel a person out.

If ya have a Political forum its big boy rules youd think? Its their Chicken and they can pluck it anyway they wish. Pluck Phil.

HH~

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2020, 01:39:25 pm »
Shawn you lost me there?Please explain so’s a Texan can understand .  Arvin

Offline PatM

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2020, 02:02:16 pm »
  From a purely  measured standpoint,  not from what it looks like or how it kills.

Statics weren't and aren't a big thing just because they look nicer.