Author Topic: Elm recurve  (Read 11105 times)

bownarra

Elm recurve
« on: December 16, 2020, 01:08:59 pm »
After seeing Marc's White Lightening 1 and 2 bows being talked about in a recent thread I decided I would have a go at trying to copy one. 190 fps would be nice but we will see......Not an easy task!
I've pulled out some nice 10 year old billets and have recrved and spliced them. I am going to reduce the blank down to floor tiller tonight. The billets were an inch or 2 too short and it is 63" now it is spliced up.

Offline RyanY

Re: Elm recurve
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 01:21:10 pm »
I've also been a bit inspired by those threads and may try something similar soon. I was looking through the catalogue of Marc's bows on here and the three factors that stand out to me are 1) the high amount of retained reflex, 2) tips are relatively stiff compared to more circular or elliptical tiller in some bows (even in the recurves), and 3) perfect tiller. I have a feeling, even if I could nail the tiller shape, that I would have a hard time retaining as much reflex as Marc does in his bows.

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 01:24:53 pm »
My thoughts exactly :)

Offline Nasr

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 05:11:53 pm »
Following along looking forward to this developing.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 05:39:02 pm »
Following along looking forward to this developing.

Me too

Offline HH~

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 06:46:56 pm »
Nice

The Recurve Shootout.

I will Ante

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 07:45:45 pm »
Just remember.

Keep it flexible
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 08:38:09 pm »
Should be interesting. 

Just so you know.  When I was going strong making this type of bow I made pretty well all of them with about 10" of reflex and they would end up keeping around 6" after tillering and shooting
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

bownarra

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 12:56:56 am »
10 inches! Struth.....
I'll put a picture of it up when I get back from my morning run and swim. I guess i'll be adding some reflex then :) At the moment its got about 4" and has been to 60# with good tiller. No set yet. Going to make this one around 60#.
So Marc should I induce the reflex now that i've got a good floor tiller?  I've never had a wooden bow so reflexed....it should be fun!

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 02:50:08 am »
Stringing them are definitely fun...

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 07:10:04 am »
10 inches! Struth.....
I'll put a picture of it up when I get back from my morning run and swim. I guess i'll be adding some reflex then :) At the moment its got about 4" and has been to 60# with good tiller. No set yet. Going to make this one around 60#.
So Marc should I induce the reflex now that i've got a good floor tiller?  I've never had a wooden bow so reflexed....it should be fun!

Absolutely and give it a solid heat-treating.  I've found that when reflexing that much with dry-heat you need to do it before applying any heat to the limb.  If you try to reflex after giving it some heat then you stand the chance of a tension failure ( big crack open on belly  :o )
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 07:25:07 am »
Marc, don't you use some sort of bench mounted bow stringer for those?  This will be fun to watch...  :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline HH~

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 07:31:03 am »
Why not just glue in a bunch of reflex in the finger joint. Wont that take care of half the reflex issue you all seen to be concerned with. Think my quickest most accurate static sits about flat unbraced.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 07:52:13 am »
Subscribed
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2020, 08:06:42 am »
Why not just glue in a bunch of reflex in the finger joint. Wont that take care of half the reflex issue you all seen to be concerned with. Think my quickest most accurate static sits about flat unbraced.

HH~

No,  because setback is not the same as limb reflex.