Author Topic: thoughts on reflex bows  (Read 1587 times)

Offline The beginner bowyer

thoughts on reflex bows
« on: December 10, 2020, 05:01:59 pm »
I have been looking a lot into adding a reflex to my bows if I can ever get that far with out it snapping. for those of you who have made a reflex bow do you do like it/how do you shape it? I have been looking in to Heat/steam shaping and am wondering if a good rout to go but would love to hear from some people who have been more successful than me.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: thoughts on reflex bows
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 06:05:13 pm »
My thoughts are for myself having a short draw it helps with early string tension and fits me pretty good.

Have you made any bows?

Welcome to PA

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 06:12:00 pm »
None that have made it to completion unfortunately

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 06:22:30 pm »
My next thought is that at your stage I wouldn’t use much reflex.

What type of material are your attempts from?

Are you trying from staves or boards?

Bjrogg

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 06:44:35 pm »
Iv been using boreds and just what ever wood I can get at Home Depot but every time I get past my tillering and thing maybe I can shoot it  it snaps on me haha

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 06:53:50 pm »
Yes there’s a more to it than might meet the eye. Tillering is a art form in itself. Picking out the right board is important to.

I haven’t done board bows . George might jump in here. He has a website that’s helped a lot of people with board bow.

Tillering is so important. It take awhile to develop a eye for it. Eric’s tillering gizmo has helped a lot of people to get a nice bend.

Bjrogg

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 08:18:28 pm »
Yes there’s a more to it than might meet the eye. Tillering is a art form in itself.

getting the bend even is crucial to success, an success is crucial to making the next bow with additional features.

Just my opinion, but home depot is not the best source for bow quality wood.  what do you think about getting a sapling drying just in case the next home depot board bow gives you problems?

welcome to PA :)

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 09:18:59 pm »
Yes there’s a more to it than might meet the eye. Tillering is a art form in itself.

getting the bend even is crucial to success, an success is crucial to making the next bow with additional features.

Just my opinion, but home depot is not the best source for bow quality wood.  what do you think about getting a sapling drying just in case the next home depot board bow gives you problems?

welcome to PA :)

I’d love to but I honestly have no idea what trees in my area would be good to use/ harvest requirements in southern utah and yeah Home Depot is definitely not the best but only place I really have to get wood for now

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 10:02:55 pm »
I think you should make a few successful bows(that haven't broken), improving your tillering with each before you attempt a reflexed bow. By reflexing you are adding more strain to the wood making it more apt to break.
 Have you checked out George Tsoukalas's site? He gives lots of info for beginning bowyers and for selecting and working with a board to build a successful bow.
 Welcome to PA. There is lots of info here from some of the best wood bow builders in the world and they are willing to help you build your bow(s).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Morgan

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 10:19:37 pm »
Like others have said, get the straight limb bow down solid before trying reflex. There ain’t a thing wrong with making and shooting straight limbed bows. Lumberyard boards have made a lot of good bows. Proper grain and even bend is the key. I did a quick google search and I didn’t see a lot of bow wood species in so utah, but it does look like you have service Berry, and there’s been several fine looking bows posted here made from that.

Offline willie

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 11:13:07 pm »
I’d love to but I honestly have no idea what trees in my area would be good to use/ harvest requirements in southern utah
I see some oaks and ashes listed , but don't know about southern utah or which particular subspecies might be better.

If you open another topic asking for particulars, you will get suggestions from others hopefully close by.

I might be worthwhile to mention you just want to make a shooter to gain experience. I am sure someone will mention juniper , but that might be something to keep your eye out for when you get more experience as it has it's gotchas and is used as the belly in composite designs.
Are you interested in traditional (native american?) designs?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020, 12:09:25 am »
There is quite a bit of cedar and maybe juniper in that area, if I remember correctly, possibly several oak species, and mountain mahogany.  Chuck Loeffler and JeffP51 are in the Salt Lake area.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

bownarra

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 12:58:23 am »
Forget reflexed bows for now.
You need to select boards with perfect grain, or near perfect and back them with some fabric,rawhide etc. Only once you can select a good board can you make a board bow :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2020, 04:38:14 am »
My thoughts on reflex bows is that its a good way to set yourself up for failure with no working bows under your belt. Id honestly reccomend deflex bows for beginners. They are less stressed and therfore less likely to break even with typically made mistakes.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2020, 05:46:33 am »
These people want you to be successful. This advice is meant to help you not put you down.

I would very much suggest going to George’s site.

I also would research Eric’s tillering gizmo.

Right now research is your best tool and that’s where I suggest you start.

A lot of people start out wanting to build the bow they always wanted. There’s time for that later. Perfect the basics first. Then you can work on other skills.

Bjrogg